Mineral licks

Mineral licks

This is a discussion on Mineral licks within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Been doing some research on mineral licks/salt licks just curious if anyone has any brands/products they recommend. I know there is a lot of aspects ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smith676

Thread: Mineral licks

Member #
    Liked
    77 times

Mineral licks

Been doing some research on mineral licks/salt licks just curious if anyone has any brands/products they recommend. I know there is a lot of aspects that go into picking one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3253 times
    Iíve tried several from salt blocks, to mineral blocks to some of the commercial stuff. The deer in my area must get enough minerals in their diet that they donít crave any supplements Iíve put out.
    Buddy about 25 miles away puts out deer cocaine every spring. The deer tear up the ground where itís at.
    So I guess the answer is to try everything and see what they like.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I use trophy rock, I go thru 6 or 7 per year. Bucks and does use them. I think it has helped horn growth. Most of the bucks we would see before using them were 80 to 125 inch. Now we see 125 to 145 inch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    Never had luck with them but hear really good things about trophy rock.

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    I mix my own and the deer love it. I use 2 50lb bags of salt 1 50lb bag of mineral and 1 50lb bag of dicalcium phosphate. You can pick it all up at the feed store for cheap and only have to replenish every 6 months. Just clear a spot and turn it all in the dirt together. This time of year my cameras on my mineral sites are full of bick pics.
    Bird (this time) likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Well I put out a few trophy rocks and a few mineral licks different brands. I guess we will see. One is set up on a cell cam been a week with no takers yet but its a new spot might take a little time for them to find it.

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    It took a year and half before my deer used the rocks. I put corn and other things around the rock and still took that long to use it. So don't get disappointed if they don't jump on it.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ibokie View Post
    It took a year and half before my deer used the rocks. I put corn and other things around the rock and still took that long to use it. So don't get disappointed if they don't jump on it.

Ya I’m not too worried about it. Just gonna let it ride and see what happens

Guide
    Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    The camera will show something soon hopefully keep us posted