It was only a matter of time

This is a discussion on It was only a matter of time within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Son asked if he could take the truck tonight and go look for some elk. Normally I’d say no to him going alone but he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: It was only a matter of time

Member #
    Liked
    2842 times

Son asked if he could take the truck tonight and go look for some elk. Normally I’d say no to him going alone but he wanted to take his non girlfriend lady friend along for the ride, so I said sure as she’s a vegetarian but interested in learning to hunt. I’d just sat down to eat and was about to pop a top when the phone rings. I see its my son so when I answered and it was is friend and she was freaking out and said they’d been a wreck I to freaked out. Opened the Life 360 app to see where they were and fortunately they were only 6 miles south of town so I went straight for the wife’s car keys and hollered at her to let’s go. He gets on and is all shook up. I asked if they were OK and he said he hit a group of mule deer at 70mph and had to shoot 2 cripples but another was trapped under the truck dead. I said we were on the way. I called my local warden and told her what happened and that I was in rout. She said to call her back once I assessed the scene. When we arrived the truck was stopped in the middle of the road and a doe fawn was wedged up under it and another doe fawn and adult doe were laying off the side of the road where my son and a witness had drug them after my son put them down. He did the right thing as they were both in near fatal shape anyway.
    The other driver on scene when we arrived that saw the whole thing said a group of 30-35 mule deer came out of a wash next to the road and ran right into the road. The guy said my son had no chance to avoid it and said they were lucky it wasn’t any worse. We got the fawn out from under the truck and off the road. Got the truck moved off the road. Wife was on with insurance making a claim and getting a tow truck in rout while we tended to the carnage. Warden said to leave all 3 as WY law doesn’t allow for road kill carcass tags. Nothing would have been salvaged really anyway.
    I assessed the truck damage and estimate it to be a good $5-6k worth. Entire grill shattered, main radiator had hole and 1 of 2 transmission radiators had a hole. Fog light gone, driver side bumper bent back to with 1/2” of tire. Hood release lever busted, hood warped, frame work and who knows what else is wrong. Guts splattered down entire driver side and onto windshield. I’ll go tomorrow and see more after daylight. We don’t have any rental car agencies within 100 miles so that’s not an option. Looks like our weekend elk hunt is a no go now as well. Probably be a good 2 week or more fix. A few aftermath pics. Yes that’s half a leg wedged under the license plate.

Name:  F4CFC1DC-162D-488A-852E-03E8E86A9612.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  275.1 KB
    Name:  D2C6A712-F75B-488C-A892-C05D4148A24C.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  530.0 KB
    Name:  B82F3108-EB34-4F1C-B934-7F87C170253C.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  326.4 KB
    Name:  68D02F26-660E-4734-8361-7AECDF825457.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  370.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    1293 times
    Dam that sucks glad they are ok though
    mike miller and Bullbuster like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1602 times
    Holy cow! I'm glad that they didn't get hurt, that could have been really bad.
    Bullbuster likes this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1113 times
    Dannnnng. Glad they are ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bullbuster likes this.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    3677 times
    Good to hear nobody was hurt except the deer.
    Bullbuster likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2842 times
    Thank you for the kind words y’all. He’s feeling a little sore today and is definitely shook up but when you live in an environment like this it’s bound to happen plus it’s the season for deer love around here. Fortunately I will be able to get a rental out of it, a mini van lol. I just have to drive 120 miles to Rock Springs and the nearest rental agency this afternoon to get it. The only body shop in town my insurance works with can’t touch it until December 7th because they’re so booked. It also happens to be the best body shop in town as well. In the end trucks can be replaced but people cannot and that’s all that matters to me. I have no doubts that it will happen again sooner or later however preferably later.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Really glad it turned out as well as it did. I'm always looking for deer as I'm out at wierd hours in the night. They really do come out of nowhere.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    Glad he's ok, I know a guy who's hit both a moose and an elk. Moose and elk 2, trucks 0. Both had full bumper grills too.

Member #
    Liked
    2842 times
    I’m looking into getting a brush guard for it. Got a rental today and a good thing as I was told by the maintenance shop they are so backed up they won’t be able to touch my rig until Dec. 7th. They had 12 rigs come in yesterday, all with extensive maintenance required. This is gonna be a long month.

Member #
    Liked
    1113 times
    Cram a dead critter in the back of that mini van. Then they will give u a truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dennishoddy and BobbyV like this.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast