Bumper pull RVs

Bumper pull RVs

This is a discussion on Bumper pull RVs within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Iíve never owned an RV camper before. Iíve rented and used a couple soft and hard side pop ups before is all. I know the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bumper pull RVs

Member #
    Liked
    2739 times

Bumper pull RVs

Iíve never owned an RV camper before. Iíve rented and used a couple soft and hard side pop ups before is all. I know the bigger hard sides come in mainly bumper pull and 5th wheel. Iíve seen a few goose necks as well. The wife and and I have discussed getting a bumper pull camper. Many people around here have the toy hauler campers as well.
    I know Iíd have to get a generator and what kind to get is another set of questions. We decided we want one with a fridge/ freezer, heater (some have A/C Iíve seen but not necessary), bathroom/ shower/ sink and sleep at least 4.
    I know several of you have them and some even live in them several months of the year. What are some of the things you consider must haves with them? I donít have a clue about them. Hell Iím not 100% on what my truck capacity is even for towing one. This is something we are discussing but by no means ready to pull the trigger on. Shoot it will be Christmas before I get my truck back from the shop anyway.
    So please educate me with your knowledge and such on this subject.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    I can highly recommend the Rockwood mini lites. Get one with a slide out for the dinette and a Murphy bed. They fold up out of the way and give u lots of room inside. They have models with bunks also. That would prob be good for your boys. My 21í has more room than my 27í since it doesnít have a slide out and Murphy bed. If u get one with a/c you can get an ez start and install it. I have on mine and can run it with my Honda 2000 generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bullbuster likes this.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Our first was a Keystone Outback. 29í living area with a total length of 36í. Pulled it with a half ton Tundra over lots of mountain passes. I think the dry weight on it was 7800 pounds. I did install air bags on the truck.
    It had opposing slides in the living area. With both extended, it was 14í across. Queen bed in the nose with another slide in there that was a closet.
    There were double recliners as well as a couch that made into a double size bed. The bench seat type dining area made into a bed as well.
    Most of the bumper pulls come with a propane/electric refrigerator that is 6 cubic ft with a small freezer. Some have an 8 cubic foot. Bigger is better! They can get really crowded quickly.
    Things to look for is lots of storage. Some models have almost none while other models are loaded with storage.
    You certainly want an AC and a vent fan. It can get stuffy inside even on cool days.
    Some of the newer units are coming out with factory equipped WiFi and cell signal boosters. A lot of campgrounds have very poor service to stay connected. Good WiFi signals will allow streaming on a smart tv. Most RVís donít come with smart tvís but they are not expensive any more.
    Tires are critical. Most factory tires are what those of us on the road a lot call China bombs. Most are only rated for 60mph top speed and have a tendency to come apart at high speeds trashing the underside of the RV. We see it all the time.
    If the intended use is just to go to the lake on weekends, China bombs will probably work just fine, but if you intend to use it for extended travel, a tire replacement is almost a necessity.
    Bumper pull RVís tend to ďporpoiseĒ on rough roads more so than 5th wheel models. Passing other vehicles in high winds or being overtaken on 4 lane highways will cause much more wind sway than 5th wheel RVís.

This is our old bumper pull.

This is our new 5th wheel. Since we are on the road more than 6 months out of the year now, it was time to upgrade.
    Bullbuster and okbob like this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2739 times
    Thanks for that info y’all. We have 2 neighbors them and I’m gonna see if we can get a tour inside them. Ones probably a 15’ and is certainly an older model while the other is a good 30’ and probably less than 10 years old. I don’t know what size they all come in so just guessing. More than likely we’d get a used one to start out with. Lots of them for sale by owner here in town, but not dealers. We talked earlier today about making a trip to one of the bigger towns that do have RV lots and just walk through a few.
    A 25’ boat is the biggest bumper pull I’ve hauled but have pulled several 55’ low boy goose necks with a 1 ton. Hey Smoke with your 21’ do you have a special hitch setup? I recall a buddy back in Cali that had some tension/ leveling type arms that he’d hook up from the hitch to the camper frame. They were under tension as well if I recall. That was some 20 years ago now so I may be wrong.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011ó01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    Yes mine has weight distribution hitch and anti sway

Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Our bumper pull had the weight distribution hitch as well.
    We looked at floor plans a lot before finally going to a dealership and actually walking through the units. We learned something with every one we walked through.
    Bullbuster likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    You will get a good deal at rv show. They donít want to tow them back to lot. We went to camp Doris this past weekend. Just our 3rd trip out with new trailer. Saw about a dozen elk. 3 good bulls. They were bugling. On way down and back our trailer was making some God awful creaking and groaning sounds when we turned. Never heard it before. When I got home I took the weight distribution bars off and greased them. Put em back in and and then used the grease certs. Quiet as a church mouse again.

Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    Funny thing is, when I googled the noise I read from a bunch of people ďoh thatís normal, dealer told them thatís how you know itís working.Ē BS. My other trailer has been towed all over Oklahoma for the past 20 years and never made that noise. And I never greased em either.

Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Our bumper pull popped and groaned as well.
    We found some nylon pads that fit on the rests for the torsion bars that quieted it down.
    Bullbuster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2739 times
    The wife is saying heat and A/C are mandatory as well as a closed in bathroom. She went and walked through the neighbors and liked it. I think there’s this somewhere around 30’ however. She also likes the slide out for the dining area as well. I told her about the RV show stuff but we don’t have any around here. Colorado Springs is about the closest place and they also have a huge RV center as well. That’s only a 3 hour drive. Thank you again for your .02 on the topic.

What are some things to look out for as far as negative things. Any particular things to pay attention to while looking at them? If we do get a used one do y’all recommend talking it for a tow and seeing how it pulls and handles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast