Rain! - Page 2

Rain!

This is a discussion on Rain! within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Hard to imagine anything could live there. Just got word that yesterday's storm set an old wood barn on fire, and destroyed it. Guess I'll ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rain!

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Hard to imagine anything could live there.
    Just got word that yesterday's storm set an old wood barn on fire, and destroyed it. Guess I'll drive over and take a look this afternoon. It was about ready to fall anyway. No big loss.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    Your barn? Bales keep catching on fire too, not storm related though.....just saying.

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    My barn. It's 1 1/2 miles south of the round top on the corner where the new blacktop starts. Full of 20 year old hay. Been afraid to walk inside for 10 years.
    Medford FD came out.
    Don't have a clue what started it. No electric in it.
    What's causing the hay bales to ignite?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    My barn. It's 1 1/2 miles south of the round top on the corner where the new blacktop starts. Full of 20 year old hay. Been afraid to walk inside for 10 years.
    Medford FD came out.

I bet that one burned hot! Arson here.

Member #
    Liked
    1870 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Medford FD came out.

It's called spontaneous combustion. Where I grew up in WA state it was rather common in the summer. Stack too many bales together, the green ones in the middle start to mold a bit and the heat build up an poof up in flames it goes. Ever unstacked a large pile in the summer and those middle bales are hot as can be with that grayish rot powder....
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    All that's left. This barn was built by my Great Grandpa on the 40 acres he settled at the land run. It was still smoking. I always wanted the wind/lightning vane he built on the roof. When it cools off and gets a couple of rains on it to wash away the ash, I'll see if its still salvageable. I saw one of the cables that ran to it coming out of the ash pile. Its on the right of the first pic.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398734690.629991.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  449.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398734725.304144.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  392.1 KB

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    That sucks Dennis. Our barn caught on fire when I was in 3rd grade. Half the fire dept was out on it. It smoldered and caught again the next day. They had to come back out. We had to pull every bail of hay out and bust them open and wet them down.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    It's called spontaneous combustion. Where I grew up in WA state it was rather common in the summer. Stack too many bales together, the green ones in the middle start to mold a bit and the heat build up an poof up in flames it goes. Ever unstacked a large pile in the summer and those middle bales are hot as can be with that grayish rot powder....
    New/green hay yes............no hay cut this year yet anywhere. Bad to loose a memory from a era gone by Dennis.

Member #
    Liked
    1870 times
    I remember one summer our neighbor up the road lost a single stack of 1k or so of the 75# bales. On a family friends farm I worked they lost a couple hundred mid squairs but that was do to a migrant workers cigarette.
    That really stinks about the barn but I hope you can salvage the topper.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    340 times
    Well, so for we have gotten 1 1/2 inches of rain in 2 days. We can get more than that.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast