Black Kettle WMA

Black Kettle WMA

This is a discussion on Black Kettle WMA within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Anyone have any luck at black kettle? Heading out with a buddy to Bow Hunt in a week for a new challenge, looking for possible ...

Member #

Black Kettle WMA

Anyone have any luck at black kettle? Heading out with a buddy to Bow Hunt in a week for a new challenge, looking for possible good units to check out. Any help on this area is appreciated
    Guide-Headhunters Exotics,
    Firefighter/EMT-Anadarko FD,
    Realtree, HOYT, and RAGE fanatic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Turkey hunted it many times, never for deer though. Get a good WMA map and compare it with some Google Earth and save yourself some time and tracks.

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Deer hunted black kettle many times over the years and at many different locations. I've almost always seen deer and I've gotten pretty good at not always seeing other hunters. Avoid opening day if you can, but even if you cant, as long as you are willing to walk a little further than the avg hunter who wants to pull right up to his spot, you should be ok. There are some quality bucks out there and plenty of does to fill your freezer. Last buck I killed out there was a decent 9 pointer(see pic below). If it had been private land, I would've gladly let him walk as I think he would've been something special in 2 more years but whether it was me or the guy just over the hill, I knew that day was gonna be his last.

I make notes on all the areas I've visited. When I get home tonight i'll look back over my notes and see if I can point you to a decent spot. But honestly, I've never been disappointed with any of units I've hunted out there.

One thing to keep in mind, a lot of hunters from all over the place think of black kettle as their own personal hunting lease. Many will get there a week or so in advance of opening day rifle and set up camps and try and stake their claim to an entire unit. I've heard of a few scuffles and even some flattened tires as a result of people getting possessive over their spot. All the more reason I just avoid the easiest to get to places...

Name:  9pt2.JPG
Views: 2024
Size:  2.17 MB
    Last edited by pointemup; 12-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2307 times
    Nice Buck! Is that a Beowning Stainless Stalker I'm looking at?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Thanks, but like I said I would've loved to see it a couple years down the road. The gun is a Ruger M77 MarkII .270

Like this one here...

Name:  Ruger270.JPG
Views: 1028
Size:  56.1 KB

Hiker
    Member #
    Thank you for your good answers, useful.
    Southwest Airlines customer service 800 number
    Last edited by Desy237; 12-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.