2015-2016 Hunting & Fishing contest

This is a discussion on 2015-2016 Hunting & Fishing contest within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Having done some brain storming with Dennis, we/I would like to get y'alls thoughts on how to improve and also what you would like to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2015-2016 Hunting & Fishing contest

Member #
    Liked
    1836 times

Having done some brain storming with Dennis, we/I would like to get y'alls thoughts on how to improve and also what you would like to change with the next contest.
    Some of the moans and groans over the last couple years have been...
    people sign up but never enter points
    more points should be given for this and or that
    no prizes are ever given
    some people get to hunt and fish more than others so they get lots of points
    why not have point limits for each species so someone can rack up hundreds of points for the same thing
    more points should be given for public land vs private land
    not having the person in the pic to prove it is them
    what penalties should be for those caught cheating NOTE-this was an issue this last contest year.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    people sign up but never enter points ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------not sure there's anyway to prevent this.
    more points should be given for this and or that ---------------------------------------------------------------------I'm good with the point values
    no prizes are ever given------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------and there shouldn't be IMO, it's for fun
    some people get to hunt and fish more than others so they get lots of points--------------------------------------that's life
    why not have point limits for each species so someone can rack up hundreds of points for the same thing-----this would only apply probably to fish and waterfowl?
    more points should be given for public land vs private land---------------------------------------------------------I'd be ok with this. Pic next to WMA signage to prove?
    not having the person in the pic to prove it is them------------------------------------------------------------------Not needed IMO.
    what penalties should be for those caught cheating NOTE-this was an issue this last contest year.--------------

That person kicked out the current contest, all prior points thrown
    out and no longer allowed to enter future contests. How does one r prove cheating?
    Last edited by okbob; 07-13-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    Bullbuster and dennishoddy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1836 times
    You are on the same brain storming path we were.

As for the cheating.....Such as having pics posted in which you were not even on that hunt (verified by those who were) or reposting from years past. The honor system isn't always honorable to some some of the time. This last season being the first time cheating was discovered.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1836 times
    Also if someone would like to oversee this up coming contest please say so. I've done it the last 3 years and once or twice before that even. Dennis has done it as well several times.

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    The part about others getting to hunt more than others, well I am in that category. Some of us aren't has lucky because we don't have the money or the time because we have to work. So don't said that's life. I sometime feel like it is unfair to us who don't get to go. About posting pictures sometimes I hunt and fish by myself and have no one to take the picture. So that issue is going to be one of those issues that's going to a little hard to solve. I somewhat agree on limiting the points. I do hunt public land and on Ft. Sill and where I hunt there are sometimes no signs to take a picture with in the background. I am not ranting but before you start thinking about doing this take in consideration of what I have said or it will take all the fun out of the contest.
    Last edited by baby; 07-14-2015 at 06:44 AM.
    kwaynem likes this.
    U.S. ARMY (Retired)
    I love to hunt and fish and most of all spending time with my family after I get home from hunting and fishing.

Founder of the Wichita Mountain Waterfowlers established 2012.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I screwed my team up last year and didn't post enough. "I solemnly vow, to post more pictures and reports. Thank you and God save the Republic."

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
    I screwed my team up last year and didn't post enough. "I solemnly vow, to post more pictures and reports. Thank you and God save the Republic."
    Blah blah blah....... lol just kidding. A guy can only do what a guy can do.

Member #
    Liked
    1836 times
    IMHO and it's just that MHO

First off if you ONLY sign up for the chance at winning something then don't bother. We have tried in the past to anonymously have prizes but people can't honor what they comit too. That's not to say a prize can't happen BUT I think it should be kept quite unless it's a sure thing then why not make it known.

As far as pics with the person in it, I get it some people hunt alone (like me), I take a pic with my truck in it many members have seen my truck in person and can verify its mine. Now with that said selfies are except able in my book. It doesn't have to be a professional pic. NOW I've also thought that in such cases you should have to have a OKH sticker in the pic. Contact OSOKILL the ADMIN and he will send you some for FREE.

Now as far as the cheating thing is concerned, if you are caught then you loose all points and are removed from the contest. I'm not saying make it a linching on the open forum but a PM, email or phone call will be made. Hence my idea of the sticker being in the pic.

My rant...if you have to post a pic of someone else's game wether you were physically on the hunt not or one they sent you and you want to claim it then you don't need to be part of the contest or a Hunter/ fisherman for that matter. Many of us are in regular contact be it phone calls, texts or Face Book. We share pics and talk so we know someone is bound to know if you are claiming BS game for points. Furthermore anyone willfully violating any fish and game laws will be removed as well. End rant...

Things can happen that prevents someone from being able to partake like illnesses, work/ deployments, family stuff and bad economy/ loss of job. We will discuss a drop date if no points are posted unless that person says they only hunt one animal and that season isn't over i.e. if your a muzzle loader or rifle hunter only. No shame in bowing out either.

I can agree to a max cap of points for SOME species of fish be it a single entry cap each time or an agragate for the whole contest duration. Making one species worth more than another just because you hunt that more than anything else doesn't cut it. The points have been established in many aspects to ease of harvest. Killing a bear or elk in OK is limited and as such has a high point value. Dove, ducks and a variety of smaller fish can be taken in large number over the course of a season so smaller points values are given. Things like banded birds and money tags are the rare exceptions and also get higher points because those are harder to get. Something that was mentioned was extra points for someone who drew a quota tag. I say no extra points for the draw HOWEVER maybe a couple extra if you fill the tag. I'd be fine with no more than 10% of total point value for that animal.

Every season is different and lives take us down different paths. So what if someone hunts or fishes all the time. Some years I get to hunt/ fish more than others and some not at all. If you think it's unfare, well then grab you blanky and bottle and go take a nap in your crib.

I'm a PL hunter 98% of the time so extra points for that doesn't matter to me.
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 07-14-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    754 times
    Now dont yall go messing with my coon points now, ya hear.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Now dont yall go messing with my coon points now, ya hear.
    I think they should just give you and I our coons points up front, save us a lot of posts and pic ................... coon points x 40 for Smoke and myself !!!
    dennishoddy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast