Food plots for rookies - Page 3

Food plots for rookies

This is a discussion on Food plots for rookies within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; I went and checked cam cards today. Only 5 pics of a 3 point yearling. Cleared 3 more spots and put out rye and clover ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Food plots for rookies

Member #
    Liked
    1869 times
    I went and checked cam cards today. Only 5 pics of a 3 point yearling. Cleared 3 more spots and put out rye and clover with 13-13-13. Hope this weeks rains do the job.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    We need rain. Amazing how much we had earlier, but I had the big equipment out yesterday, and couldn't find any moisture a foot deep into the soil.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Throw & grow works fairly good, but if you have a 4wheeler & spreader & a harrow or something else you can drag over the seed to cover up a little is even better ! We planted a small soy bean plot earlier this year & about an acre with clover, rye, & various other mixes just a couple of wkends ago, so looking forward to this rain , lol. What ever you do don't give up trying we all have are ups & downs , lol!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    I put it I with my Plotmaster. I've worked it 3x before I seeded. It has a roller on it too.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhntr1955 View Post
    Throw & grow works fairly good, but if you have a 4wheeler & spreader & a harrow or something else you can drag over the seed to cover up a little is even better ! We planted a small soy bean plot earlier this year & about an acre with clover, rye, & various other mixes just a couple of wkends ago, so looking forward to this rain , lol. What ever you do don't give up trying we all have are ups & downs , lol!!
    Been putting in food plots for 20+ years. Your right. Don't give up because some years can be good and others a bust. I've also learned that some of the high dollar seeds just don't work in Oklahoma, or anywhere for that matter unless you have deer in a pen where they have nothing else to eat.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123