Missing hunters - Page 2

Missing hunters

This is a discussion on Missing hunters within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Very sad prayers here also...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Missing hunters

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    776 times
    Very sad prayers here also

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Praying for the families. Something we take for granted is just going out on a hunt.
    He Gone

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    What is eerie is that the buddy sent a text to someone that said something about if they don't hear from them again, its because they are going duck hunting during the goliath storm. Its like he had a premonition that they might not make it.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1824 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    What is eerie is that the buddy sent a text to someone that said something about if they don't hear from them again, its because they are going duck hunting during the goliath storm. Its like he had a premonition that they might not make it.
    From what I saw on the local news (ADA) that message was send in rout to OK. I assume it was meant as a joke as the news report said friends had advised them not to go in the first place because of the storm.

Dennis your the most experienced and knowledgeable on Kaw lake. Does it take much wind to get the water really choppy? Then again the size and type of boat would play a big factor into weather conditions.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Not being a native Okie, I still get freaked out just thinking of being in a smaller boat on MOST Oklahoma days. I drive by Lake Hefner nearly every day and often times it reminds me more of my deep sea fishing expeditions than any Lake I ever fished on. I like my lakes to look like a sheet of glass. No desire to see white caps while trying to fish from a bass boat. All that said, I can only imagine how bad the water would've been over the weekend if the winds up at Kaw were anything like they were in the Edmond area. Throw in the diminished visibility due to weather and time of day and it pretty much looks like a recipe for disaster.

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    I grew up fishing on my grandpa's 24' pontoon on Kaw Lake every summer starting around the time I could walk. My grandpa would never mess around with chop, if ever there were whitcaps on the lake, even in that big pontoon boat, we'd call it a day and head in. I remember one summer a few years back we took my friend's bass boat in the Coon Creek area to do some catfishing after a flood and I thought, "we're going to die out here". It wasn't even blowing that day, but we got out into the main channel and the water was churning like crazy. That lake has always scared me. It seems like there are fatalities every year out there.
    Last edited by Archer22; 12-30-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    A 10 mph wind will put some pretty good waves on the lake.
    Can't tell you how many pontoon and sail boats I've seen floating upside down after a front moves through.
    Don't know what size/style boat they were using, so can't really comment on that.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    Been out all day. So far no sign.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451513635.887492.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  164.4 KB

Member #
    Liked
    1824 times
    At this point a hook drag is about all that going to be effective I'm afraid.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    Its only 5-7' deep in the area where they suspect the boat capsized. even with my sidefinder sonar, one is only looking at a 5' max area. You could go by 6' away and not see anything.

They are bringing in cadaver dogs tomorrow from Missouri, and its supposed to be dead calm, so the dogs probably have the best chance of finding him. If not, when the water temp warms up in the spring he will come up then if not snagged on something.

When the two Dentists from Tulsa died duck hunting on the lake, it was spring time before the water got warm enough to float them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast