Missing hunters - Page 3

Missing hunters

This is a discussion on Missing hunters within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; It is very admirable that you helped. Thank you...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Missing hunters

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It is very admirable that you helped. Thank you
    dennishoddy likes this.
    He Gone

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erhager View Post
    It is very admirable that you helped. Thank you
    My best friend and two casual friends died while duck hunting under the same circumstances in 1977 or 78 on Kaw lake. Been too long to remember the exact date. They died within 1/4 mile of where this happened, launching from the same boat ramp.

Had a lot of deja-vu out there today and yesterday. We found my best friend body when it happened. He was the only one wearing a life jacket. The other two became floaters in the spring.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    852 times
    A good friend of mine and my dad's, last his two sons and his dad fishing on Hulah in the late 80's iirc. The found one quickly, had to drag for the other two.

Who is involved with the search? Still lots of debris floating from upstream?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2338 times
    OHP lake division took over the whole affair.
    ODW Ranger Tracy Daniel was the one that found the guy with the life jacket. I talked to him extensively yesterday and today to get his feel of where to look.
    The lake/river is full of large debris and about 5' high. I had to cross 3/4 mile of water less than 2' deep to get to location. Spooky watching all the grass pass by wondering if there was going to be a rock or log hit the prop or stick the boat.

Still don't know what size boat, etc the duck hunters were using, but at 45+ MPH winds, they just flat shouldn't have been out there in any type of boat.

ALL of the previous fatality's at the lake have been from boats too small, and overloaded for conditions.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,

Member #
    Liked
    1871 times
    While no one will ever know what really happened in this truly tragic situation, but you do bring up some good points of consideration for anyone who operates a boat.

You said you crossed 3/4 of a mile in 2' of water and didn't know what may be just below the surface. Could they have been running fast in the dark and hit something that caused them to flip vs the wind and waves. Poor weather conditions or not if you don't know how to handle the boat you are operating in such conditions then you have no business skippering the boat.

You did a good thing today Dennis. I'm not so sure how I'd handled things if I was to discover a body.
    dennishoddy likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuster View Post
    You did a good thing today Dennis. I'm not so sure how I'd handled things if I was to discover a body.
    My plan was to drop a buoy and let the experts take care of it.

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Which ramp did they load from? And how far away from their entry point did they find the first body? Dog?

Member #
    Liked
    2338 times
    They launched at bear creek, then went all the way across the lake to the west side, then north about 1/2 mile.
    Dog and body was on the West Bank. Wind at the time was from the NE to SW, so the search is being conducted NE of their location.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    OHP has some awesome sonar that Ive seen in action first hand at Draper. Didnt take them long to find the body.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Cudos to you Dennis for lending a helping hand. Sorry to hear about your friends many years ago, I'm sure that was difficult being in that same area and bringing back bad memories. Prayers to family and you guys helping in the recovery.
    Jamie
    My Dad once told me if "if it hurts, don't do it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast