Getting Ready for the Vegetable Garden

This is a discussion on Getting Ready for the Vegetable Garden within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; I was out at the home improvement store this passed weekend picking up a new tumbling composter and picked up some seeds while I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting Ready for the Vegetable Garden

Member #
    Liked
    769 times

I was out at the home improvement store this passed weekend picking up a new tumbling composter and picked up some seeds while I was there. This weekend I'll probably be buying some flats to start my seeds a couple weeks and designing a rain catchment system to water the garden, not to mention trellises to build. I've got big plans this year. Anyone else making their gardening preps for this spring?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Scout
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    My wife & mother are starting to get things going; said something about potatoes & lights or something or other. I know the plan is to do everything from seed this year. I need to rebuild our compost bin and I think I'm going to put a small greenhouse in for my wife this year. I'm definitely not the gardener in the family, but when something needs nailed together, tilled, or just plain moved, my popularity jumps up a notch or two.

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zirrow View Post
    My wife & mother are starting to get things going; said something about potatoes & lights or something or other. I know the plan is to do everything from seed this year. I need to rebuild our compost bin and I think I'm going to put a small greenhouse in for my wife this year. I'm definitely not the gardener in the family, but when something needs nailed together, tilled, or just plain moved, my popularity jumps up a notch or two.
    Haha. I'm the project manager, designer, foreman, grunt, gardener...you get the idea. My wife tells me what to plant, she picks and eats what she wants, plays with worms, and that's about it as far as the garden goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    I pulled all of the tomato cages Monday, and ran over the garden with a chisel on the tractor. Need to mount the tiller and grind up all of the leaves in there.
    This will be my first year to start from seed. Always bought the starter plants in the past, but they are in those tiny pots and root bound by the time Its time to plant them and they just seem to sit there forever before growing. The ones that are in the larger pots are expensive!
    Its going to be a challenge because we have large overhanging eves on the house, and get almost no sunlight through the windows, so they will have to be moved in and out when the temp is warm, or use some artificial light. Saved a bunch of the quart sized plastic pots that my wife's flower bed plants came in to keep them from getting root bound.

Haven't grown potato's in years, but tempted to do it. The last couple of times I grew them, gophers came down the rows and ate the bottoms. Got a pretty good handle on them now with some new traps.

Going to have to put hoops and netting over the green beans and cucumbers. The wild turkey in the yard snip them off as soon as they pop up out of the ground.

We have a pretty big garden area, and it grows too much for us to eat, so most is given away to family and friends. Just enjoy growing things. Might get into canning more this year since I have more time during the day.
    Fond memories of my Grandparents garden. It was an acre, and all the family got together every spring to plant, then harvest and have group canning partys as things became ready to pick.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2739 times
    Dennis build a small greenhouse. I did that last year with some scrap 2x4's and wrapped it in clear 4mm plastic. Overall it wasn't more than 6' tall, 4' wide and 4' deep. I added a heat lamp from the chicken coop to keep the temp up even through the night. Worked great until I transplanted and the chickens tore them all up. Rabbits did a number as well. Son trapped most of the critters.

I learned that Brussels sprouts are a fall cold weather crop. I planted them in early May and they didn't even produce until mid Sep. One never grew beyond 6-7" the others grew to over 4' with 50+ Brussels on each. My peas and green beans did will. I need to plant more to make it worth while. The tomatoes grew outta control and overtook half the garden but I got over 100 tomatoes from the 3 plants.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Tractor supply had some of the small green houses on sale last year for not much more than scrapping one together. Waiting on them to go on sale again. I have a cart to put it on to run it in and out.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    What's a garden???? I don't eat rabbit food.
    MSGT. LEO/NRA/HHI/NAHC/BM/OLEFI/Firearms Instructor
    #1 ELK in the State of Oklahoma 2000-2016

Member #
    Liked
    2739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    What's a garden???? I don't eat rabbit food.

Well you have the untouched radishes in your food plot.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    I was making plans to build a greenhouse, but I need to take care of my current projects first or they will never get done. Trellises and water catchment first, maybe a greenhouse next year. I'll tell you though, a greenhouse would be nice because I'm going to be starting seeds in our unused guest bedroom, at least I'm planning to unless I get vetoed by "the boss". I'm gonna try the "square foot" method to try and fit a LOT of veggies in my raised bed. I think I'm up to about 60 individual plants in a 120 sq ft raised bed. We'll see how it goes.

Member #
    Liked
    1065 times
    We've always done everything from seed. We lost motivation during the drought years and quit planting one. We even started early a couple of springs to get ahead of the heat and drought that was to come only to loose everything to a really late hard freeze lol. We'll get back in the game this year though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast