It's twister time - Page 5

It's twister time

This is a discussion on It's twister time within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Originally Posted by dennishoddy We see those storm chasers around here pretty regular. Sometimes there will be a string of vehicles a 1/4 mile long. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: It's twister time

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    We see those storm chasers around here pretty regular. Sometimes there will be a string of vehicles a 1/4 mile long.
    Most are people just out for a joy ride.
    It's gotten really bad the last three or four years. Jo blow wants to see a twister, but is smart enough to know that he doesn't know what he's doing. So he goes and finds a vehicle with antennas and a 4,5 or 9 painted on the side and follows them. There may be as many as 12-25 that follow each chaser, depending on the area and if there's actually a funnel or tornado. Bad part is when the chaser needs to back up or retreat, and there's a line of vehicles behind them. Well they can't all back up, so they attempt to turn around, and usually it's muddy, and you'll end up with half of the convoy stuck in the ditch or the road blocked. We have to call the sheriff or OHP for almost every legit storm now, and have them just simply block the road or highway for public safety concerns. It they shut down a high way, they just try to take a county road, and end up stuck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    600 times
    I'm a trained OK First Assistant through OK Mesonet and trained storm spotter for the past 3 years. I've never been storm spotting (others call it "chasing") and I'm dying to go, but for fear of what others on here have already described, I have chosen not to. My emergency manager does not condone us going out spotting. It has become very dangerous not just because of the weather, more so because of the morons following news teams to "see something cool". There are people who charter storm chases and get paid to bring in people from all over the country to chase our severe weather. People look for any way to get their excitement these days. In the mean time, they are inhibiting actual storm spotters' ability to observe and report severe weather for public safety. It's a shame.

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    We're trained to spot thru the NWS, and don't chase for our county. It moves out of our district and another dept picks it up. We relay what we see the the county EM and it get relayed the NWS. Spotting is way safer than chasing just in the fact that you know your area. You know what roads are accessible during adverse weather, which roads are not dead ends, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaynem View Post
    Lol that's funny there I just read what I wrote last night I need a breathalyzer on my phone I can't spell worth a darn
    You won the WX Drinking Game!!!!
    dennishoddy and kwaynem like this.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack

Member #
    Liked
    1089 times
    Hook Echo seems to be catching on also

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    I'd like to chase with Lacey Swope. I bet she has some good hunting and fishing stories to pass the time with.
    Last edited by Bullbuster; 04-28-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    Bird (this time) likes this.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    Yep, got a kick watching her and the other news gal noodling catfish a while back.
    America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    She should wear cammo on air.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    1018 times
    I was impressed with the job she did Tuesday. She's got that radar ops down pat.
    kwaynem likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    It's funny because as I write this I'm sitting at the National Weather Center in Norman. I have an interview that's running a tad late.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345