Where your guys hunt rabbits? - Page 3

Where your guys hunt rabbits?

This is a discussion on Where your guys hunt rabbits? within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Originally Posted by murphranch Around a little town called Webb City, it's east of Ponca City about 12 miles, the oil field has miles and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where your guys hunt rabbits?

Member #
    Liked
    2331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by murphranch View Post
    Around a little town called Webb City, it's east of Ponca City about 12 miles, the oil field has miles and miles of 6 to 12 inch oil lines laying on top of the ground that transport the warm crude to a big sub-station. The pasture land that the lines run through is in a "no fly" zone for aerial spraying so it's got lots of blackberry thickets and buckbrush. Anytime it's cold or it snows the rabbits lay up next to the lines for warmth. Always bunches of rabbits there. An interesting fact about that area is that it has more cattle guards per square mile than anywhere else. There used to be 3 oilfield lease roads going across each quarter section of land. Rabbits really liked the open pipes of the cattle guards also.
    I've been in the webb city area a lot. Mainly fishing, but get in some bird hunting on occasion. Your absolutely correct about the cattle guards. They are everywhere!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hey guys I'm back! After getting a better-pay job I finally able to get a license and some necessary hunting gears. Today,I stalked in Lexinton WMA for hours but all I could see were human and vehicles......rol
    Name:  IMG_2842.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  349.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    2331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalvan View Post
    Hey guys I'm back! After getting a better-pay job I finally able to get a license and some necessary hunting gears. Today,I stalked in Lexinton WMA for hours but all I could see were human and vehicles......rol
    Name:  IMG_2842.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  349.6 KB
    Congrats on the new job!
    Rabbit populations are relative to the cover they desire and the cyclic nature of rabbits.
    When rabbits are everywhere, the predator population in the area pics up. It takes several years for this to all evolve. The rabbits go into a decline for several years, as the predator population picks up. Then the rabbits go into a decline again.
    It runs in cycles.
    Look for brush piles, and cover that you wouldn't think a rabbit can get in to. Stomp it out, and watch for them to move. Sometimes they won't move much. Once they get too much pressure, they leave the brush pile/cover and run in open ground.
    I was a big time rabbit hunter for years with a couple of beagles. There is not much more fun than chasing rabbits with beagles.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    840 times
    Been jumping jackrabbits the last 2 days on the tractor. May have to to a walk thru tomorrow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123