Where your guys hunt rabbits?

This is a discussion on Where your guys hunt rabbits? within the The Tavern forums, part of the Oklahoma Hunting category; Hey guys I'm new to Oklahoma City. And I'm wondering if there're any good and safe places for air gun rabbit hunting?? I've been to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where your guys hunt rabbits?

Member #

Hey guys I'm new to Oklahoma City. And I'm wondering if there're any good and safe places for air gun rabbit hunting?? I've been to many places around OKC like farms,public lands and woods but never seen a single rabbit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1872 times
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter

I see them around my neighborhood during the summer but really don't see many out in the woods. Lexington WMA would be about the closest to go shoot any.
    Steve Petersen--Correctional Peace Officer, Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy, Retired Military AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011, TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011—01/07/2018, Master Hunter and uncontested owner of the first deer killed off the Grady County WMA-2011 (Verified by Rex Umber WMA biologist) Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Member #
    Liked
    2339 times
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!
    Rabbits are currently on a down swing population wise. I'm a hundred miles north of OKC. Kaw lake WMA has a fair rabbit population.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    OklahomaHunter.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    I'll second what Dennis said. I'm actually going up to Kaw this weekend. I'm taking my air rifle, and my traps, up there to shoot some rabbits, squirrels, and hopefully catch some fur. I'm in the OKC area too. Unless you find some local private land, you're gonna have to drive a ways to a WMA for some action.

Welcome and good luck.

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    Been along time since I seen enough rabbits to hint I went last year and seen one. My brother in law had beagles for years ended up getting rid of them cause couldn't find any to hunt

Member #
    Liked
    2339 times
    I had beagles in the 80's. Rabbits were thick. We killed 5 gallon buckets of them every time we went out. Got to be quite the expert at cleaning them with no hair, etc left on the meat.
    Filled our freezer with them, and were giving them away to relatives, cleaned and ready to freeze. Got to be so many that I noticed when we pulled up to their house, the shades would be pulled closed, and you could hear door locks slamming shut.

Well, not quite that bad, lol, but we did take a lot of bunny's. My beagles were natural born killers. Amazing to hunt behind them.
    kwaynem likes this.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!
    Rabbits are currently on a down swing population wise. I'm a hundred miles north of OKC. Kaw lake WMA has a fair rabbit population.
    Thank you so much man! And I guess we can only hunt them during the hunting season??

Master Hunter
    Member #
    Liked
    781 times
    That is correct! Ad welcome to the forum

Hiker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I moved out here from AR a couple years ago now. I tried my hand at OK public land Turkey hunting this past spring at Canton WMA and I could have killed a mess with a pellet gun there at that time. I've been planning to go back now that it's cold and try it out.

I used to raise beagles back in AR 10 or so years ago. Man I used to love a good dog race. A rabbit is dang near a mythical creature in that part of the world now days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I've killed lots of rabbits over the years but pretty much quit hunting them in Oklahoma when I shot one in the 60s that looked like something out of Walking Dead. I have occasionally hunted them after a few freezes in the state. When I lived in Colorado I used to enjoy hunting rabbit in the winter. ate lots of them, Cottontails were better tasting than snowshoes IMO. Oklahoma DOW recently issued a warning about confirmed cases of tularemia in Oklahoma rabbits.

I spent all day on Canton yesterday and didn't see a rabbit. My dog covered over 16 miles bird hunting and never kicked on up. The habitat was excellent. I was with a friend that had two dogs and I assume they covered about the same amount of ground. We hunted in different directions. Didn't find one Quail, either but that's another story.
    Grouse Points B K Beatrix (Bea)
    RIP: Shooting Starr's Commander (Ike), Murphy Brown and many more
    CWO U.S. Army (retired)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast