Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Thought the RONA had me

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Bullbuster 
#1 ·
Last Wednesday right about dinner time my stomach started killing me. Right in the middle, from about belly button to sternum. First thing i thought was food poisoning. But my wife ate same thing and wasfine. Figured it would pass and went to bed. About 0030hrs. I started freezing to death, then the violent shakes set in. Im talking the kind where you can actually break bones and snap muscles. Like a seizure . The bed shaking woke my wife who thought it was an earth quake, she said can you feel that, it is an earthquake? Threw my almost shattering teeth I said, Nooooooo, its meeeeee. She freaks, thought i was having a seizure. I was burning up, tried to take temp during this, bad idea. Almost bit thermometer in half. She scooted up next to me to try and warm me up and i was shaking both of us violently. SHe grabbed me some sweats and put them on me and socks and got back in beside me. The shaking last 10-20 minutes. It was brutal. But finally stopped. The only other time ive had the shakes like that is the one and only time in my life i actually had the flu. Little later in the night I went from freezing to burning up. Peeled off sweats and all covers. Now i looked like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of water on me. Had wife run me a warm bath to try and break fever and maybe help the pain in my gut. I laid in the tub for prob an hour. When i got out I couldnt get dried off from sweating so badly. My temp was 103 at this point. I was supposed to start back to work that morning, but that wasnt going to happen. I called in at 0600 and told them and said didnt know if if was Covid or the Flu and where did i need to go for a test. After lots of calls they called me back and said a fire Major would be calling me. He did and said they were doing test at training center at 9 and could i get there. its was 0845. I said yes and got in car and hauled ass. Got there, no one if fron of me pulled up and they snaked this q-tip like thing so far up both nostrils i thought they punctured my brain. Said i should have results by 1930-2030, if i didnt hear by then it would be first thing in morning. Major called me at 2200 and said Negative results. Thank God. So now Im thinking it has to be the flu because of pain, fever, shaking, horrible headaches. So first thing friday morning i went and got a flu test. It also came back negative. So now what. Dr. figured since i was having stomach pains I prob had a bad stomach virus that was just going to have to run its course. They did give me some tamiflu anyways. Went back home. Stomach still killing me. Paind was near as bad during the day, but near afternoon and evening it really started hurting. When i would lay down, it mad it worse. If i laid on side, even worse. I had zero appetite. It tried to eat, but couldnt finish anything. I wasnt throwing it up , i just couldnt eat. That very first night I drie heaved 2 times but after that, nothing. Had another fever induced shaking fit one night. Not near as violent as the first. I felt it coming when I was sitting in the chair and i immediately went and crawled in bed next to my wife for added warmth. Same as before 10-15 mins and then sweating my ass off again. I went 5 nights with no sleep and barely anything to eat during that time. On Sunday I couldnt take the paing anymore and the no sleep because of the pain. So we went to the hospital in Moore. I was really worried about going to any ER at this time because of covid. To my surprise there wasnt a soul there, walked right in and was taken right back. DR. came in and i explained everything. He poked and prodded in spots that should be tender if something was wrong. I said no all the paing is over here in the center from my belly button up to my sternum. He said we are going to get your blood and do a cat scan and see whats up. After my scan he came in and said, "Its a good thing you came in, you need an emergency appendectomy, im transferring you by ambulance to Norman by ambulance and your are having surgery today. " I was like, wait, what. Are you f'ning with me doc. He wasnt. Moore doesnt do surgeries, thats why i had to go to Norman. Then they tell me we have to give you a covid test. It has been just out of the 48 hr window they require to do surgery. Great. When the nurse returns she is in full hazmat gear and wheels in this huge hepa filter she plugs in and its really loud. She said they do it because when the put in the swab it breaks the mucus membrane and they dont want covid getting airborn if I did have it. I asked how long the results would take to get back. She said its been taking about 6 hrs. So after that off i went to Norman by ambulance. Got there around 1315. Soon as i got in my room the nurse came in to play 20 questions and she got to see my 3 shaking fit in person. While she was asking me questions she could hear the bed rattling. She said you dont look comfortable at all, do you want another blanket. Well duh. Yes please. Lasted 10-15, then back to sweating again. Sometime around 1530 they said test came back negative. So around 1600 finally got to to pre-op. Next thing I know im waking up and was back in room by 1800. They said surgery went well and by some miracle it hadnt ruptured. Which is truly a miracle since i had been in pain with fever for 5 days. God was watching over me. I didnt even stay the night. Wife was not allowed to be there, so I told her to go by walgreens and get my pain meds and come get me. I was home by 2200. Havent had a fever since. Now just surgery pain and lower back hurts, but thats from sitting and laying for 5 days. Oh yeah, almost forgot, they told me my appendix wasnt where it should have been in the lower right part of my abadomen, you know where they always push and say is that tender. The reason I wasnt tender there is because it wasnt there. Mine was higher and further over. Right where all my pain was . So listen to your bodies and dont me stubborn like me with a high pain tolerance. Go see the doc. Sorry this was so long.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dang! Sounds like you have a rough time of it for several days. It's a good thing they found what the issues is and it hadn't ruptured. That gets to be a really serious issue.
How soon before you can get back on your feet and go to work?

#9 ·
Lord have mercy, you’ve had it rough lately. Darn glad to hear all is well now. Rest up and take it easy for awhile. We ain’t getting any you get and stuff like that doesn’t heal as quickly.
Just like me back when I had my liver failed issue. I avoided the doc for over a week unit I collapsed at work.

Reactions: kwaynem
#10 ·
How you feeling these days?

#15 ·
Sounds like things are getting better for you. Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.