Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Is the .17HMR big enough for coyots

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on my first yote hunt and i have a .17hmr and a .243. I think most will say to take the .243 but i really want to use the .17hmr. Is it a big enough round out to 150 yrds?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
It will go out to 150 yds +, but unless you get the 20 grain bullet designed for bigger varmints, it may not do the job.
I shot a coyote a couple of years ago with mine at 200 yds and saw the bullet hit, but he ran in circles then ran away across a wheat field that is 2 miles long...he just kept running. Its a really fragile bullet. Close range, I'd use the .17, but at anything longer, the .243 would be the ticket. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
As much as I dislike 'yote's, I still believe if you're gonna shoot 'em, you should go for a clean quick kill. .17 is kind of iffy on that part. Plus the .243 has a longer effective range than the .17

·
Registered
541 Posts
I shot a coyote with my 17..only about 75 yards and hit him in the ribs...He was still running the last time I saw him..I pretty well use mine on squirrels and rabbits and that's about it...From what I've seen the past bunch of years...I think a coyote is about as tough as a deer when it comes to running off...the last one I shot was with a 300 WSM...it was real effective... ;D ;D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I shot one a few years ago wit a 17 at 90 yards and dropped him then the nxt year I hit one at 110 yards and looked like it never made it stop or slow down. im not a fan of that round I sold mine and just bought a 22-250.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Go with the .243 better to be safe than sorry. The .17 would best be left for head shots at any long range.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
17 Cal.HMR
Best for the 125 yard or closer shot.

17 Rem or the new 17 Rem Fireball would be a lot better choose-
for varmites @ up to 400 yards with a no stronger cross wind them 5 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts