Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to one of our leases this past weekend to try and get some pork. I got to my feeder 5 minutes before it was to go off. When I was about 50 yards from my feeder I noticed a pig bedded only 25 yards from the feeder. I knelt down and put up my shooting sticks just in time for the feeder to go off. The pig jumped up and ran to the feeder and I killed him, a 175 lb boar. Saturday evening I was on a stalk when I spotted a group of pigs and was able to kill a nice 100 lb eater sow. Our lease is down by McGee Creek. I will be firing up the smoker here shortly.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Nice shots, looks like right behind the ear. Good eatin' to ya!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Oh yeah! BACON! ;D Good shooting. What cal do you use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shoot these with my 270, 130 grain Barnes TSX handloads. I like to shot them behind the ear it makes for a very short tracking job.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Very nice indeed. BTW whats an average weight for a hog here in Okiland?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrates -1 olhunter.

Bull-In the last 9 years of hunting hogs here in Oklahoma,I say about 70-150 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Thats just right for a BBQ.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Bull, saw a dead Russian boar at Ft Sill that was a whopper.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
We went on a hog hunt with bows about 4 years ago around the blue river area south of Ada.
Guy had free ranging hogs but had out feeders and stands and leased the stands for a weekend. We all got a hog, and some went for two. One guy hurt an ankle and couldn't walk to his stand, so he sat just outside of camp, on the ground. He is an outdoor writer for one of those hog hunting magazines, and said(just going on his word) he had a couple came by that he was afraid to stick as he couldn't climb a tree if they got PO'd. His estimate was in the 400 lb class. :eek:

On that hunt I never saw anything over 150.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been a member of the OKC sportsmans club for about 6 years and have taken 34 pigs during that time. I hear a lot of stories about 400 lb pigs but have yet to kill one. A 250 lb free ranging pig in oklahoma is a big pig. I have weighed the biggest ones I have killed, my biggest so far is an honest 245 lbs. I would have swore he was over 300 lbs. As posted by gauge there seem to be a bunch of pigs in the 70 to 150 lbs. A pig, especially a boar around 200 lbs or bigger is very tough to skin as a result of the (lack of a better word) shell that develops around the chest.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I agree with you. I haven's seen that many hogs, as we don't have them up here yet, but we saw lots of hogs on our hunt, and none over 150. I just had to relate that guys story.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I guess I got spoiled on hogs in California and a 250 pounder is nothing major. We would shoot the 75 ounders just for BBQ. My biggest was a boar just shy of 400 pound. I had posted awhile back several pics of some.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You have some good meat to add to the smoker,me and my son hunted Honobie W.M.A. several years ago,I enjoy hunting the mountains of Southeast ,OK. Plenty of wild boar if you get on the right lease in Southern OK., I,m retired now,so I have more time to hunt and fish,this year I would like to get on a year around lease from Plum Creek in Southeast Ok.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slabfisherman
Our club has over dozen leases across the state. Our most SE lease is down by the Mcgee Creek WMA, it is 12,000 acres of great deer and hog hunting. It also has a bunch of good fishing ponds. We are accepting new members now, let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1olhunter,thanks for the info and offer,sounds good, i,m in the process of saving up each month so I can lease land later this fall, theres no way I can afford a lease now, every time I turn around ,.my son is needing money for college :-\

1 - 17 of 17 Posts