Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[The
This big 8 pointer was taken by my grandson on our lease down by Lane Ok on opening day of the 2009 Youth Season.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This big 8 pointer was taken by my grandson on opening day of the 2009 youth season on one of our leases. I just got the skull back last week and built the plaque over the weekend. He will get it for Christmas. He killed his first deer in the 2008 youth season, a small button buck. He talked about going again this year for the past year, but wanted to get an antlered buck "even a six pointer would do". Well he got his buck and what a trophy it is. I scored it at 144" gross, with a net typical score of 134.25". I plan to get it scored officially at the backwoods show, but I believe the differences in the two antlers will keep it from making Cy Curtis.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Congrats to your son for getting a really impressive buck! ;D You did a nice job mounting it. I like the pictures you put on it to preserve the memory ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrates to your grandson on a fine buck.
He should be very happy with the European mount & plaque for x-mas.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Nice mount and plaque. I'll bet he's gonna be tickled with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Grandson got this mount on Christmas Eve. He was sure exited to get it. Thanks for the complements on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your grandson has bragging rights on that buck,sure is neat to see children shot a nice buck and enjoy the outdoors,my son's first deer was a button buck from Atoka W.M.A.
His second deer to shoot was a 9 pointer during Muzzloader season,he's been hooked on deer hunting ever sense

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Congrats on getting another youngun into hunting. The youth are our future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I,m happy to see the Dept. of Wildlife is offering the youths a chance to bag a buck also during the (special youth hunts) When my son hunted them ,it was for doe only,last time he hunted the special hunt ,he had a nice 14 pointer walk within 25 yards of his stand and all he could do was just sit and stare at it and dream haha

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Dreams can be good.
It was several years ago, when I took the landowner's son out for his first hunt at 11 yrs old. 50 yds from the truck a massive 11 point ran out, stopped broadside, and the kid shot him. He was never satisfied from that point that he couldn't do better.
He later quit hunting for that reason.
That missed oportunity for your son may trigger him to stay in it longer to take another buck of that quality knowing that one is out there.
Just my opinion ;D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dreams can be good.
It was several years ago, when I took the landowner's son out for his first hunt at 11 yrs old. 50 yds from the truck a massive 11 point ran out, stopped broadside, and the kid shot him. He was never satisfied from that point that he couldn't do better.
He later quit hunting for that reason.
That missed oportunity for your son may trigger him to stay in it longer to take another buck of that quality knowing that one is out there.
Just my opinion ;D
Never thought of it that way before until you mentioned it Dennis, looking back now ,i,m glad the 14 pointer wasnt legal to shoot,be kinda hard to top a buck that size. To this day,my son hardly talks about deer hunting until its time for deer season to open,i,m totally opposite,I can chat about deer hunting 24/7

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah got my fist buck at about 14 i think. was a tiny 6 point had been hunting for two years and was first buck i had a shot at. since then ive seen nicer bucks but always seems where i cant get a shot off. so i get my doe early on then hunt for my buck. one day ill get me a nice one. gettng that little 6 and another small 8 i think is what keeps me going. if i got that monster 12-14 point i see on rare occasions i would prolly quit hunting out side of going to get a doe for meat, thats not a hard task where i am.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first deer was a 5 pointer I shot on the first day of rifle season in the morning.

Didn,t take over 30 minutes of hunting and I had my deer and this was my first time to ever go deer hunting,I have been hooked on hunting deer ever sense that morning,just wish all of my deer hunts was that easy, I have yet to kill another deer that quick and I have been hunting deer now going on 36 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts