Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I heard from the Outfitter as he sets up for the future hunts. Apparently he got management control for the entire ranch operation. The Cows are gone will be gone for a number of years until the land recovers. He is optimistic the elk will be back this year.

I ask what the contingency plan was if there was no rain and the grass didn't grow back and there were no elk this year also. Wow, I shouldn't have asked. I got a response that said if had misgiving that I should probably cancel as those feeling would follow me to the hunt. I don't know if it was attitude or just the lack nuance that occur communicating by email.

But for me it was one to many red flags. I cancelled.

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
I think I would have done the same.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So when the refund shows up I will contact my deer guy and set some thing up. I think I can take two buck in OK, is that correct?

I have a new to me, made in 1804 flintlock coming that should be here today or Monday. 75 caliber smoothbore. What a kick that would be to take a deer with it. I will have to see how well I can shoot that gun at 50 yards. Shot with a round lead ball, and real blackpowder. Getting excited just thinking about it.

I would also like to try archery. I haven't taken a deer with bow since 1983. Never taken a buck with a bow. I have a bow and shoot a couple times a month. Its cranked down to 30 lbs right now. I just don't know if my battered shoulder can take me pushing the bow up. I see OK calls for minimum 30 pounds. If I can't pull at least 50 lbs and more, I am not sure I want to shoot a deer with it. Use enough "gun"!

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
Yes, two bucks in Ok. Both can be taken by archery or one with center fire and one by muzzle loader.
A crossbow may be the answer to that bad shoulder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So when the refund shows up I will contact my deer guy and set some thing up. I think I can take two buck in OK, is that correct?

I have a new to me, made in 1804 flintlock coming that should be here today or Monday. 75 caliber smoothbore. What a kick that would be to take a deer with it. I will have to see how well I can shoot that gun at 50 yards. Shot with a round lead ball, and real blackpowder. Getting excited just thinking about it.

I would also like to try archery. I haven't taken a deer with bow since 1983. Never taken a buck with a bow. I have a bow and shoot a couple times a month. Its cranked down to 30 lbs right now. I just don't know if my battered shoulder can take me pushing the bow up. I see OK calls for minimum 30 pounds. If I can't pull at least 50 lbs and more, I am not sure I want to shoot a deer with it. Use enough "gun"!
I have a bum right arm and can’t pull a bow, so I went to a crossbow about 10 years ago. It’s become my favorite deer hunting method. Getting into a crossbow doesn’t have to be an expensive proposition if you buy a used one.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just reading the regs and is says Archery gear can be used during Muzzleloading season and rifle season. The regs are silent on using muzzle loading gear during rifle season. D

I'm thinking. Not always a good thing to do.

I can take two bucks a year.

I can take two bucks with archery, tagged as archery kills.

I can take one buck with either archery, muzzle loader, or centerfire rifle in the appropriate season tagged for the appropriate season.

Can a deer be taken by muzzleloader during centerfire season, tagged as a centerfire season buck?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yes. You have to use you deer gun permit

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
If I take a deer with archery during rifle season, is it tagged archery or rifle?
Should be tagged as archery provided you have an archery tag to use as you can hunt the entire deer season start to finish with archery gear. If you have a gun tag and use archery gear then it’s a gun deer as that’s the tag you’re using. It’s been 2 years now since I hunted OK last but that’s how it was back then. I hunted with my crossbow all season but only had archery tags.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You use your firearm permit even though you used a bow

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
You use your firearm permit even though you used a bow
Just remember to wear orange during the muzzle loader and firearm season if your bow hunting during those seasons.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts