Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, persistence paid off this morning, and I finally got to see a buck I had on camera for the last couple years in person. He’s got 13 points but should’ve been a 14, because he had already broke one off. He came in and left before shooting light, but he came back in and presented a 20 yard broadside shot. He only ran about 30 yards into tall Johnson grass and piled up. The Carbon Express XT4 broadheads shoot great, but they don’t leave a blood trail at all. I’ve never tried mechanicals, but from what I’ve read, that’s the ticket for getting blood. As thick as my place is now, I need a blood trail.
I’m pretty sure this buck is 7 and weighed right at 280 on the hoof. He gross scored 158.5”, and I’ll be honest that I misjudged his score from game cam pictures and overestimated him. However, my overall management goal for my place is to only shoot mature buck, and he definitely meets that criteria.

Last year…..
Sky Plant Leaf Grass Tree

June 2021
Plant Sky Leaf Branch Natural landscape

Plant Hunting Wheel Automotive tire Tree

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Congrats on a sweeeeet buck!! It’s always rewarding getting a buck you’ve been after year after year.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I would stay away from mechanicals. Been nothing but a nightmare for me in the past and like a fool I tried again this year, I’ve had three piss poor experiences this year already. The muzzy one or g5 Montec are going on my arrows tonight. Not buckets of blood but I get a pass through and find my deer. Lost a buck Saturday from the rage hypodermic nc. I’m done with them.
congratulations on a great buck!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Congratulations

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Sweet chocolate horns. I use nothing but Redhead Gators. 2” cut. Formerly Rocky Mountain gators until basspro took em over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Great buck! His grey muzzle sure shows his age. I've never tried mechanicals. Way too many stories of failures by those that have used them.
Killed a ton of deer with the old bear super razorheads. Always left great blood always a pass through.
After they became hard to find, went to the G5 Montecs for a couple of years taking several, losing none. Complete pass through.
Now with the Excalibur Xbow I'm using the 150 grain bolt cutters are working well. I get good blood from them too. I guess the reason is that I hunt from the highest stand I can find. 15' or higher so I'm shooting down. The exit wound doesn't allow pooling of the blood like if a deer is shot from a ground blind and the arrow/bolt passes through horizontally. They will have to pool the blood before pouring out the wound.
What's up with these tV hunters that get about 1/2 arrow penetration on the entry side? Seems they are always advertising lumiknocks.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
I’ll never use another mechanical for a bear again. Even though we recovered him I wasn’t happy with bits and pieces left to follow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats, hoping I can get my #1 on the hit list to start daytime pattern soon. The only mechanical I use is the blood runner and I have had good luck with them, just don't like the non-serviceable blades.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Dennis I had the same problem with the rage nc couldn’t even get a pass through however with the g5 montec blows through a shoulder and out the other side. I’m officially and most certainly done with mechanical heads, I’ve had three bad experiences this year alone including a deflection on a buck last Saturday and a doe Sunday night that I only got around 6” of penetration. Fixed blade here on

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats, hoping I can get my #1 on the hit list to start daytime pattern soon. The only mechanical I use is the blood runner and I have had good luck with them, just don't like the non-serviceable blades.
I’ve found that nocturnal bucks tend to show themselves in the daylight on new moons, and this buck makes at least 5 that have made the fatal mistake. I try to always be in the stand on the day before, the new moon, and the day after.

·
Registered
34 Posts
100% agree. I’ve had nothing but issues with mechanicals. My Montec G5 broad heads pass through and leave plenty of blood trail and do enough damage to bring them down quick. Got 3 deer this season so far and none ran more than 30 yards.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
100% agree. I’ve had nothing but issues with mechanicals. My Montec G5 broad heads pass through and leave plenty of blood trail and do enough damage to bring them down quick. Got 3 deer this season so far and none ran more than 30 yards.
3 deer? You’ve only submitted 2 for points. Congrats nevertheless.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve been on the fence whether to shoulder or euro mount my buck. My son wanted me to shoulder mount him, but of course, he ain’t the one paying the bill. I made the executive decision this morning to do a euro mount and am happy with the results.
Plant Sky Wheel Tire Tree

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
I’ve been on the fence whether to shoulder or euro mount my buck. My son wanted me to shoulder mount him, but of course, he ain’t the one paying the bill. I made the executive decision this morning to do a euro mount and am happy with the results.
View attachment 7030
Looks good. Don’t need to have the hair on it relive the hunt.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Very nice job on the euro!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks good. Don’t need to have the hair on it relive the hunt.
I’m 52 and already have A BUNCH of shoulder mounts (quite a few that shouldn’t have been shoulder mounted), and I figure I’ve got at least 20-25 years of deer hunting left in me. I can‘t afford or have the space to shoulder mount every buck I kill, so I’ve set 170” as the minimum for shoulder mounting unless it’s just a really unique buck. 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
Kind of where I'm at. No room, and the surplus gets relegated to the shop building where only I see them for the most part.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts