Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks, I’m sure most of us are planning on being out in the morning. This moon is bright enough you could read a news paper outside. Looking down at the pond i can see well enough to count the ducks on it. Got a new pasture I’m going to try hunting tomorrow, take a tip from Archer22 and try something new I haven’t had any traffic at the feeders.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Good luck and Happy Hunting ya’ll.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Basketball homecoming was this evening. My oldest was the queen and the youngest was sophomore attendant. Girls won their game and both played pretty darn good. I felt good enough to get out and go to my graduating classes little function after the game and stayed just long enough to figure out that when I’m on three times the regular dose of blood thinners I’m a cheap drunk. Couple of big double scotch on the rocks and I’m done. The girls are going to the homecoming dance and then to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes shut in. They say they will be ready to go at 5:30 in the morning and I bet they will be but I foresee some some napping in the blind.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Holding off going today. I kind of over did it Friday unloading a full pickup load of dirt. So I'll try later in the middle of the week.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good luck everyone! I completely forgot it was rifle already.

Bc I hunted 3 days last weekend and have a 4 day draw hunt next week I promised the wife I'd take this weekend off. Pulling boxwoods and crape myrtles out of our front flower bed, other house stuff...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Good luck everyone! I completely forgot it was rifle already.

Bc I hunted 3 days last weekend and have a 4 day draw hunt next week I promised the wife I'd take this weekend off. Pulling boxwoods and crape myrtles out of our front flower bed, other house stuff...
The honey do jobs are always priority. 😄

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Pretty entertaining day with the girls. They were completely worn out from all the Homecoming activities but still hunted for most of the day. They dozed off several times and I couldn’t keep from waking them up by saying “big deer, big deer, wake up! Look, there he isn’t”. This afternoon I dropped one of them off on a ridge overlooking a very narrow pinch point on the creek. My other daughter drove me north about 3/4 mile and dropped me off then took the truck back to sit with her sister. Between us was a bedding area in thick timber. I was going to sit on the north end of the timber and 30-40:minutes before dark I’d slowly walk back to them. As I got closer to the ridge I looked down into the timber and at about 50 yards I saw this big 8 I posted a picture of a few days ago. He was sound asleep with his head curled back next to his belly. There was a doe staring straight at me just to his left. I was busted and couldn’t move. She stomped a few times and then slowly walked down into a low spot. As soon as she did I sat down on the ground. When she come up out of the ditch I had enough grass around me to kinda blend me in but she still didn’t like what she was seeing. To get these deer to go towards the girls I needed to be about 50 yards farther north but there was no way I could get there with that doe eyeballing me. I really wanted one of the girls to shoot this deer but for it to happen he needed to wake up and go south. I watched him for about a hour. Every now and then he would lay his head sideways out in front of him. Looked funny because his rack is so wide. At one time he had a jerk reflex motion like someone who’s falling asleep then jerks their head back suddenly. The doe started off to the north and he stood up and just watched her walk off. His neck isn’t really swollen up. Tarsal glands weren’t dark stained and when a young buck was chasing a doe across the creek he never paid attention to them. He eventually went down the creek bank and slowly walked out of site to the north. Took some will power not to shoot him. I really think this deer is only 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old. If he makes it another year or if one of the girls gets to shoot him it would be awesome. He never knew I was there and I hope we can get back on him tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
My wife made it in the truck at 6:20am (miracles never cease), and I was able to check 3 cameras and get in the stand just after 3. Ended up seeing 3 bucks and 5 does. A guy that literally sits on my west fence shot something this evening. It was so close I almost fell out of my tripod when he shot. :oops:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts