Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is growing one and what are you growing? Since we travel so much, the big garden is gone but I do have radishes and onions planted in insulated flower pots on the deck. Some of the radishes in three pots are about ready to start picking as they are the size of quarters in diameter.
Also growing some bunching onions in another pot. They have been growing in that pot for years. They are like green onions. You go pick the bulb and tops, using all when cooking. The difference in bunching onions and green onions is that the greens grow individually and will eventually bulb out.
The bunching onions grow a "cap" under the soil sending up shoots that you break off and use just like green onions.
I don't think you can kill them. The pot they are growing in is insulated and about 7 gallons of potting soil rarely getting watered.
I've had these for about three years living through the -16 degree temps last winter and 100 degree temps in the summers.
Currently in bloom so I'll quit picking them until the seeds drop to create more "cap".
I miss garden tomato's the most. Not much better eating.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Wife planted some tomato’s, onions, peppers and a few spices in raised beds and half barrels in the front yard. So far the deer haven’t jumped the front fence to eat anything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Asparagus finally went to fern. Picked all of the onions and they're drying in garage before I put in house. Going to be digging up potatoes soon. Getting jalapenos and serranos now and that'll definitely pick up. Beets are ready. Cucumbers are a few weeks behind due to being shaded from the beets. Same with okra - shaded from the potatoes. Definitely going to move some rows around for next year so the shading is limited.

Tomatoes all have green ones but nothing turning red yet. Amazing how much difference in climate from where Retrieverman lives in TX and us in central OK.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We quit picking our asparagus the third week in May. We probably got 5, 1 gallon zip lock bags from the patch. Gave most of it away as we can’t eat that much and didn’t want it to go to waste.
Forgot in the earlier post that I had some radishes in pots on the deck. They will be ready to pick next week.

Buddy put in a big garden so I bought some seed potatoes and other plants/seeds.
He came over last night with the first of the new potatoes from his garden.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We quit picking our asparagus the third week in May. We probably got 5, 1 gallon zip lock bags from the patch. Gave most of it away as we can’t eat that much and didn’t want it to go to waste.
Forgot in the earlier post that I had some radishes in pots on the deck. They will be ready to pick next week.

Buddy put in a big garden so I bought some seed potatoes and other plants/seeds.
He came over last night with the first of the new potatoes from his garden.

Did he at least bring you a couple of onions to fry up with the potatoes???

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did he at least bring you a couple of onions to fry up with the potatoes???
No, but I did find Texas Sweets at the farmers market with the greens still attached and bundled with baling twine.
Guy said to just hang them in the garage and they would last most of the summer so that’s what I did.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I planted a little this year. I'm losing my desire to maintain a garden anymore, been doing it 8 years. Wife isn't really enthusiastic about it and picks her tomatoes, brings them in the house, sets them on the kitchen counter, then they spoil. However, I did plant: spinach and broccoli earlier this year, now pulled because they bolted; beets, green beans, onions (pulled last weekend), cucumbers, two sun sugar and celebrity 100 tomatoes for the wife, garlic, I didn't plant a single pepper but have had no less than 20 volunteers pop up. Probably will let the peppers grow to see what I get.

We had a dozen blueberries off the bush I planted last year. Blackberries and raspberries haven't put on yet, but are in bloom as I type this. Probably will dig up the blackberries/raspberries this fall and relocate behind my work. They are too invasive for my backyard anymore, cut the shoots off at the ground every fall to keep reasonable.

My garden is behind a retaining wall that is now collapsing and needing repair. I need to pull out the landscaping timbers and replace with cinder blocks this fall, been thinking about this repair for a year. Need to overhaul the french drain behind the wall as well.

We have a peach tree putting on for the first time and I should get a good 15-20 peaches, the Ranier cherry we planted 3 years ago put on about 75 cherries (I ate most of them and gave away maybe 20).

Really, it's not a bad haul for a small city lot in OKC. I'm just losing interest in the extra work. I bet next year I don't plant half, the only thing worth keeping really is the garlic (we use lots of garlic!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts