Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the last 4 days camped out on the ice for this years ice derby. About 400 entires into the contest for biggest Trout, Walleye, Perch, Crappie and Burbot aka Ling. We had low teens for highs and Saturday we hit a balmy -9 for a low. Had a solid foot of snow storm 28-30” of ice. People drove full size trucks out on the ice. I’ll let them have at that. I was fine with the ATV.
I’m also a board member for WYO Hunters and Fisherman a nonprofit group founded by my buddy. We sponsored the event again this year. We usually sponsor all the kids awards for various ice tournaments around the state but this year we did all the 1st place plaques for each event on top of the kids awards. Got to schmooz with reps from Budweiser, Coors, Eskimo and some other fishing groups.
The fishing was very slow this year. Less than 100 fished were even checked in with trout being the most productive. As far as the 3 of us in our group we managed 1-20” Rainbow, 18” Walleye and my 16” Sauger. I had at least 2 other bites but was it. After popping over 50 holes around where we camped we finally found a spot where we consistently marked fish. Still couldn’t get anything to take no matter what we’re offered them. Still had a great time nevertheless.
Here’s a few pics of our ice camp and the awards event after.
Snow Sky Automotive tire Vehicle Slope

Sky Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt

Snow Sky Vehicle Slope Freezing

So my buddy Jay Fountain is the pigmy taking the selfie. He’s only 5’ tall. That’s Jake in the blue on his cot and I’m down on the floor on my cot. Jay’s cot is on the left. A bit cramped but we made it work. Used another pop up for cooking in.
Human Textile Comfort Beard Facial hair

Automotive tire Jacket Luggage and bags Bag Recreation
Sky Camouflage Military camouflage Cargo pants Cloud

Beard Snow Fisherman Fish Recreation

Workwear Glove Jacket Gas Recreation

My view in my 1 man flip flip over shelter. Have my underwater camera and Garmin flasher going. You can see how deep the hole it as well.
Tints and shades Space Electric blue Water Composite material

Astronomical object Whirlpool Circle Cyclone Space

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Footwear Cargo pants Military camouflage Marines Military uniform
Tartan Black Textile Sleeve Red

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
That's some thick ice! Looks cold as heck but I know those shanty's can be kept pretty comfortable. You caught fish so it wasn't a total loss.

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's some thick ice! Looks cold as heck but I know those shanty's can be kept pretty comfortable. You caught fish so it wasn't a total loss.
We had 2 big buddy heaters hooked up to propane tanks. Plus dressing in layers makes all the difference in those temps. A good pair of boots and gloves is a big deal as well.

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts