Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a NEF handi rifle in 22 hornet. i was curious if there are any other people out there that shoot this caliber very much and if they do, do they reload for it.im about to start reloading for it and have a manual but i kinda want to know what works well from a hunters standpoint.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Don't personnally own a 22Hornet but have shot one or two. Hot lil round to say the least. I suggest reading a couple of reloading books and you might do a search online. You'd be amazed at how in depth some folks online are with their pet calibre.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
When I was younger, I always wanted the Savage combo with the .22 hornet and a 12 Ga in the O/U. I could always find the 20 ga model, but not the 12. But, If I'm not correct, Savage doesn't make those combo's anymore?
The hornet is a great round. Its been around forever, and isn't one of the "fad" calibers out there now, but I'm betting there are millions of them out there in closets and safe's That get used on a regular basis for yard critters that need a killin':D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive read that lot of people are loading lil gun and 4227 i think among a few others. thay also say use pistol primers and to neck size. as for bulles i have and assortment of .224 diameter from 35gr. to 55gr i wanna say along with a lee collet die. i think im gonna try to get some powder and primers in the next week or so and see what i can come up with. this lil cartridge and 45lc are the reason i got into reloading....bein a broke college kid and payin 40 bucks for a box of 50 of these lil things once a month broke me...but i love the lil rifle

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
Exactly why I reload. For awhile it was almost a wash between buying factory and reloading, but now, reloading is the only way to go. I don't remember which site its on, but one of the reloading component mfg'r has a cost analysis link where you can put in the components and compare how many loads you can get vs buying the factory stuff. Its nothing to shoot 200 rounds during an IPSC match, or a couple hundred shotgun rounds while busting clays on the weekend. It all adds up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sure enough for the longest time i was shooting a box of ammo a month thru the hornet. more in the winter time. with me in college and cutting down on my shooting since the cost is too high ive mannaged to make a box last all year so far but its gettin low......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i picked up some lil' gun powder and some small rifle primers in still water this morning this weekend gonna try to see what i can come up with

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well loaded 13gr of lil'gun and topped it with a nosler 40gr ballistic tip...shot two or three through the gun but aint got it on paper yet to see how it really acts...ill say the ones i shot seem to have a little more umph in em

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
You'll have to post a pic of your target when you get everything right ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
plannin on it will be next weekend at least before i can have time to get her on some paper....gotta go party for halloween in stilllwater with all the ladies this weekend :D

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
College life ;) ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts