Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I will start this by saying that I firmly believe that the .223 is a deer hunting round and I have personally taken 3 deer with the wally world remington 55grn ammo.

My question is, I plan on using my new AR this year versus the Remington bolt actioni .223 I have used in the past. New gun, I was thinking new round. What would be a better round to use in the AR? or Should I just stick with the old stand by 55 grners?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
What type of bullet is the 55grn, a soft lead point or hollow point?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
If its the same Remington ammo I have, its a soft point flat base. I've also killed deer with that round, but as a reloader, I'm always looking for a premium bullet. Why, I don't know as the factory stuff did its job. Kind of thought that if a bad shot presented itself with having to shoot through a shoulder bone, etc. I'd go with the .55 grain Hornady GMX. Its got a really good BC for long range, and should hold together when hitting bone.
http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Cal-.224-55-GR-GMX/
The other round I might try would be the Hornady A-max. It has proven performance as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's right, the soft point ammo. I reload but have not worked anything for .223 yet, may have to get out my books and start researching a load or two.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Keep us posted on what you decide on. We are always interested in hearing about somebody's experience.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
As Okiert mentioned reloading, what kind a powder are you using on reloads Dennis. Been having good luck with Varget over 55-65gr boolits.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
.223's are just too small of a caliber for me to hunt deer with, but a good coyete gun. I like the 7mm Muaser (7x57) and the good old reliable 30-06.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
As Okiert mentioned reloading, what kind a powder are you using on reloads Dennis. Been having good luck with Varget over 55-65gr boolits.
Varget here as well. There are some new powders out that are designed for the .223, but I've still got 4lbs of Varget.

Its interesting that when I started reloading in the early 80's, we used surplus military powder, some of which is still being sold today. Its a proven propellent, but now that the ammo manufacturers have realized that the shooters of today demand better bullets, and more consistant powders that are designed for a specific caliber.
We are truely living in the golden age of guns/reloading, and its only going to get better. ;)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Believe you're right. Hornady is going all out for the reloader with their Superformance powder and all their bullets are now availabe to handloaders. Tuffest part will be keeping up with the new powders and hoping the old ones stay available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts