Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A pretty solid choice. Typically can't push a heavier .308 diameter bullet as well as a standard or magnum action 300 chambering. You're typically stuck with non-premium brass too for reloading...but unless you're after extreme accuracy at distance, that shouldn't matter much.

However it does give you the ability to push good hunting bullets in the 150 - 180 range pretty well, and do it from a short action.

The ballistics freak in me screams for a 7WSM...it was all the rage 15 years ago. People are getting back that way now with the 7 SAUM and 6.8 Western.

Edited to add:

Im assuming 1:10 twist, so that will prevent you from going over the 212 stuff. Not sure how long your throat or magazine are either. Probably the best bet is to find something in the 165 - 180 range.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've shot one deer, a yearling, a few years back with a 180gr accubond out of a 300wsm, browning x bolt. It was at 200y broadside at last light on the last day of season. Ended up pretty much wasting both shoulders. Meat damage after hitting bone was exceptional. Overkill for deer in my mind. However, I've also seen a buddy shoot a coke can repeatedly with one at 500y with a hot barrel, Win Model 70. Always impressed me. He's obsessed with the 300wsm cartridge, so much so he sold his 338 Lapua and kept his 300wsm.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I had an 300WSM Encore barrel about 20 years ago and wish I had it back. I liked it and killed a bunch of stuff with it, but I sold it off to buy something I thought I needed more. Mine was a tack driver with factory Winchester Supreme 150 gr ballistic tips.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Murphranch, I don't know if you're just considering the 300wsm cartridge in general or if you had a particular gun in mind. I do have one posted in the classifieds in case you were interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts