Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is scouting and what are you seeing?

As normal around our place, hens are showing up. The toms will be along shortly. I let them have their way with the hens until late season. May take one and may not. Depends on the numbers we see.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
No Turkey around here unless it’s the Wild 101 kind. I’d love to hear a few clucks or even a gobble at first light again. I’ve got so many fond memories of OK spring Turkey. The last hunt I was on in OK was my sons youth spring draw.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Turkey around here unless it’s the Wild 101 kind. I’d love to hear a few clucks or even a gobble at first light again. I’ve got so many fond memories of OK spring Turkey. The last hunt I was on in OK was my sons youth spring draw.
No Meriam's?
I recently got an invite to Nebraska for a Meriam hunt on a private ranch. Never hunted them so I'm excited to go if it works out.

Reactions: mike miller

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
No Meriam's?
I recently got an invite to Nebraska for a Meriam hunt on a private ranch. Never hunted them so I'm excited to go if it works out.
WY has Turkey, but it’s a draw system only and most birds are found in the NE part of the state. I’ve not been in that part of the state yet.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I need to get this jinx I have had for the last 6 years off my back. I'm getting tired of the store bought turkeys for Thanksgiving.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have one lone hen cruising our yard daily.
Typically when that occurs it means they have already been bred and gorging before nesting.
The toms we typically see haven’t been seen by us yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m not a turkey hunter, but I love having them around. I don’t normally see toms this early, but I got this picture on one of my non cellular cameras on March 11. A friend of a friend who is supposedly a turkey “expert” said this appears to be a 2 year old tom. I don’t know about that, but he‘s very photogenic.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
His beard isn’t all that big so he is not all that old. He could easily be a 2 year old. His tail fan is symmetrical and that proves he isn’t a jake. Wings are covering feet so can’t see his spurs which is another age indicator.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Who is scouting and what are you seeing?

As normal around our place, hens are showing up. The toms will be along shortly. I let them have their way with the hens until late season. May take one and may not. Depends on the numbers we see.
My 2 big flocks have split up and set up in their spring/summer ranges. After reading Chiefstanleys post/comments a few weeks ago I reached out and invited him to come by to see if we could check off one of the bucket list items.
I can't wait to have some free labor for several days. I got all kinds of crap jobs lined up for him. If he's a good worker I might even steal his car keys and throw them in the creek so he can hang around longer.
Really looking forward to meeting him and hope the weather and birds cooperate. I'll keep you posted

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2 big flocks have split up and set up in their spring/summer ranges. After reading Chiefstanleys post/comments a few weeks ago I reached out and invited him to come by to see if we could check off one of the bucket list items.
I can't wait to have some free labor for several days. I got all kinds of crap jobs lined up for him. If he's a good worker I might even steal his car keys and throw them in the creek so he can hang around longer.
Really looking forward to meeting him and hope the weather and birds cooperate. I'll keep you posted

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Please do keep us posted.
Will Cheifstanley need my number so he can ask for help in an extraction from the work camp he is getting into?
Middle of the night stealth thing of course.....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Please do keep us posted.
Will Cheifstanley need my number so he can ask for help in an extraction from the work camp he is getting into?
Middle of the night stealth thing of course.....
If you decide to come pick him up be sure and bring your work gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you decide to come pick him up be sure and bring your work gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m a retired guy. The word “work” is a 4 letter word I consider to be offensive.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
I’m a retired guy. The word “work” is a 4 letter word I consider to be offensive.
Same here but I’m not gonna quit working working on this second retirement. I’ve got toys I wanna buy lol.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
So while getting my hair cut I was telling my barber how a buddy from OK got him a bird this week and how I missed Turkey hunting. Said I wished we had birds around here and it wasn’t a draw only system. I didn’t want to drive 6+ hours to an unknown area to chase birds. He stopped cutting my hair, turned the chair around and straight up ask me where the hell I’ve been at. I said what are you talking about and he said you can turkey hunt around here, this area has an OTC general tag and proceeded to tell me some places nearby that he sees birds. It’s was a WT! moment for sure. I contacted a couple folks I know and asked them about it. They backed it up 100%. How did I not know this before??? Apparently most people around here don’t Turkey hunt so no one talks about it or gives it much thought. It’s all big game in these parts. I told my boys tonight and they were all excited. Looks like we have some research to do and I have a few more calls to make. Not even sure the cost of a tag or season dates for this area. My youngest has never gotten a bird before. We have Miriam‘s here and if I was to get one that would be three birds down toward my slam. Wyoming just keeps getting better and better lol.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So while getting my hair cut I was telling my barber how a buddy from OK got him a bird this week and how I missed Turkey hunting. Said I wished we had birds around here and it wasn’t a draw only system. I didn’t want to drive 6+ hours to an unknown area to chase birds. He stopped cutting my hair, turned the chair around and straight up ask me where the hell I’ve been at. I said what are you talking about and he said you can turkey hunt around here, this area has an OTC general tag and proceeded to tell me some places nearby that he sees birds. It’s was a WT! moment for sure. I contacted a couple folks I know and asked them about it. They backed it up 100%. How did I not know this before??? Apparently most people around here don’t Turkey hunt so no one talks about it or gives it much thought. It’s all big game in these parts. I told my boys tonight and they were all excited. Looks like we have some research to do and I have a few more calls to make. Not even sure the cost of a tag or season dates for this area. My youngest has never gotten a bird before. We have Miriam‘s here and if I was to get one that would be three birds down toward my slam. Wyoming just keeps getting better and better lol.
Western states have big books for hunting regulations. It's pretty overwhelming sometimes looking to see what the ancillary licenses are.
You have to buy habitat license, small game, big game, conservation license and so on.
I've found it best to get offline, call the office and get a person to get all the required permits.

All that being said, it's amazing how much hunting/fishing land I've gained just by talking hunting to folks. Inline at the Tractor supply looking at someone with a trap in their basket has landed me many acres of land to trap on as they have nuisance animals and don't know what to do to get rid of them.
Talking in local farming community restaurants and so on.
Respect their rules, and it becomes an annual event.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm sure glad that the jinx I had is gone. It sure feels good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts