Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 577 2-3/4" Nitro Express built on a Greener Martini Shotgun Action. I picked it up years ago as someone's unfinished project. I am going to finish it out and see if I can make it shoot. If I can get it to shoot I want to take to South Africa next year to take a Cape Buffalo.

Product Textile Magenta Font Art

I don't have time for restocking, so I will just reshape and finish what I have. I will cut the stock down to fit me and install a Decelerator butt pad. I will do an oil finish on the stock. That blonde looking wood is a walnut.

I also have to cut all the brass down. It is 3 inch NE brass now. Since no one makes a set up for case trimmers that will handle 577, I will just use a file trim die.

I have to develop two loads. One for 750 grain .585 Barnes TSX bullets for the hunt. I am also going to make some practice loads using a 480 grain cast bullets.

I'll use this thread to keep you guys updated on this crazyness.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Eager to see it when refinished. That’s a shoulder buster for sure.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
:ROFLMAO:I can't imagine shooting a full power load on a buffalo with that rifle. I hope your orthopedic surgeon is going with you.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this morning some looking and planning. Here is what I am starting with on the buttsock.

Wood Natural material Tire Plywood Hardwood

This is the buttstock attached and stock screw fully in, The lever tip does not fully seat and there is a large gap bet between the action socket and the tenon. I will make a thick bushing the will go between the head of the butt stock screw and the seating surface in the stock bolt hole. The cheek piece is coming off. This cheek piece was laid out in the wrong place and is to small.

This is the gap I will have when the lever is seated properly in lever socket.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

That still looks like a lot of gap. These stock are notorious for chip out along this line, especially along the top. I will give this a heavy layer of Acraglas and bed this stock hard.

I have a 13 inch LOP. So when I install a butt pad on this guns I will be cutting on the left side of the vertical bar.

Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Flooring

I ordered a new pattern makers rasp. My old one is dull. What should I expect for tool that I have used for 38 years. When it come in I get after this.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
First off try sharpening the rasp teeth. If that sounds totally crazy well you’re right it would be. Just like trying to shoot that howitzer from your shoulder.
Need a 6” recoil pad on that thing.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Some nice 40mm rounds you got lol

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to leave that gap filled with glass bedding compound. I decide to just snug that stock up with a bigger bushing under the stock screw.

Wood Household hardware Cylinder Gas Tool

I will still glass bed the butt stock. I think a thin layer of bedding over wood versus a thick layer will be stronger.

The new pattern makers rasp came in, so its time to get after that cheek piece.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Cheek piece is gone.

Wood Table Artifact Art Sculpture

I am reminded why I no longer do this kind of work. Arthritis and carpal tunnel leave me with aching burning joints and "electrified" hands. But that is whining. The cheek piece is gone.

Wood Triangle Table Flooring Automotive wheel system

That line is 13 inches, my LoP. I will cut that butt off 1 inch shorter for the Decelerator butt pad.

I have been watching Cape Buffalo hunts on YouTube. Nobody but a bunch of old men huntingBuff. Humm I fit right in. Also noticed when you can tell, those that appear to be shooting .375's sure use a lot of ammo. Another thing I noticed a well placed shot only means the shot is well placed. To the Buffalo, no big deal. Unless the cartridge is bigger, then it doesn't look like it takes as many well placed shot to get the job done.

My belt slide carrier only hold 5 rounds, wonder if I can get one that hold 10 rounds? Yep Cape Outfitters has one.

I am also going have to install sling swivels on this gun. I need to find a split barrel band front swivel. No forestock mounted sling swivel on this kind off gun, it will rip you hand open in recoil. I could have a full barrel band solder on but that would require reblue. I don't want to get involved in that just yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I use 1-1/4" military slings most of the time and do use them sometimes for shooting. Although I will most likely will be shooting from crossed crossed sticks and not using a sling. I may get a carry sling, thanks for the link.

I would not want these heavy cartridges dangling from my sling as I am trying shoot. Bullet 750 grains, load 70-80 grains of powder, brass ?? Some where between 900 and 1000 grains a round 2 to 2 1/4 ounces a round.

No sling carriers either. Nice for carrying spare rounds not easy to load from.

Butt stock carriers. I have never been on board with that idea as it never fails when I had one, I had to shoot from the other side of the rifle/shotgun. I did that once with shotgun and the cartridges banging into my face with 12 gauge recoil were not nice, imagine the recoil with this gun.

I'll do in hand between fingers of my off hand for carry for one round and the rest on my belt.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
He makes belt pouch ammo holders and belts that are ammo holders like the old western 6-shooter, minus the pistol holster.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts