Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Love the history lessons you add in with this adventure.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Absolutely love the history of old guns.
I have several, although they are not as historic as the Martini.
When doing the research on them, the results are printed out and put in a folder so my heirs will know what they are inheriting.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Absolutely love the history of old guns.
I have several, although they are not as historic as the Martini.
When doing the research on them, the results are printed out and put in a folder so my heirs will know what they are inheriting.
I've got quite a bit on the No. 4 Mk 1 (T) that I have as well. Just so that I don't have a kid or grandkids take it to a pawn shop and walk away with $500 thinking they got a deal on it.

Actually, I have a folder with serial numbers, dates of manufacture, and an approximate value (updated every five years), so the wife knows what she has should I eat it someday out here on the ranch. O also have the information of several large consignment dealers in there too.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I rounded up all the 577 Nitro cases I could find and selected 10 to make up some practice rounds. All these cases started life as 3 inch or 3-1/4 inch nitro express cases. Some time in the past I started cutting some down to 2 -3/4 for this gun. Ten cases to be exact. The 10 were cut down but not final trimmed.

If you look around you won't find a lot case trimming tools that work with the .577, even 50 cal stuff istoo small. The solution is old school---file trim dies.

Automotive tire Light Camera accessory Household hardware Cameras & optics

Here is the shortened case in the die. The top of the die is hardened and a file will skate across it. Any old file will work, but a new file works best. Old files will wear you out

Automotive tire Light Household hardware Gas Camera accessory

I found a box with ten 600 grain .585 diameter bullets. I don't have a lubsizer die large enough to lube these bullets. For now I hand lubed them,

Automotive tire Sculpture Wood Gesture Artifact

I have one can of Trail Boss. Following the guidance for Trail Boss, I filled the case to a level that would be the bottom of the bullet when seated. I weighed the powder charge and it is 51.5 grains. Because of the low density and high volume of this powder, I could not open my my powder measure enough to drop this charge. I had to get my Black powder measure marked for 175 to 300 and use the 185 mark to hold 51.5 grains of Trail Boss.

Wood Ammunition Cylinder Font Bullet

Friday I will test fire these rounds to see if this gun needs any adjustment. I think I mentioned earlier that it needs the load position adjusted. Hopefully every thing else is fine.

After test fire I am going to send this gun off and have the load position adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
It’s gone from piece of eye candy to almost a red headed firecracker. Can’t wait to read the firecracker part later in the week.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
With this weeks storms and heavy rains, I think the ranges at OKC Gunclub are going to be a muddy mess. I think the range session is going to be 10 rounds real quick down range at the gongs and see how the gun functions. Well it is springtime in OK.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To much free time-weather keeping me in-doing some deep thinking.

Product Plant Magenta Art Font

This Greener Martini is currently chambered in 577 2-3/4 NE. I bought it from a customer some years ago as an unfinished project.

I am currently working on it to get it ready to take it to SA next year for Cape Buffalo.

All it needs is the stocks finished out and the load position adjusted. Trigger is fine. Barrel is new.

I have told you all that before, I think.

If I have, I am sorry. But I am over 70 and allowed, no expected to repeat my self.

I have discovered that this gun will feed 577 3inch NE. The rounds will turn the corner and go in the chamber. Of course the 3 inch cartridge won't seat as the chamber is only 2-3/4"

Tire Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Rim

I have forty 3 inch cases.

I have a 577 3inch NE reamer.

I am getting ready to send this gun off and have the load position adjusted.

The question to this group.

Should I send the reamer with the gun and have it rechambered to 3 inch?

Why?

Why not?

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
To much free time-weather keeping me in-doing some deep thinking.

View attachment 8262
This Greener Martini is currently chambered in 577 2-3/4 NE. I bought it from a customer some years ago as an unfinished project.

I am currently working on it to get it ready to take it to SA next year for Cape Buffalo.

All it needs is the stocks finished out and the load position adjusted. Trigger is fine. Barrel is new.

I have told you all that before, I think.

If I have, I am sorry. But I am over 70 and allowed, no expected to repeat my self.

I have discovered that this gun will feed 577 3inch NE. The rounds will turn the corner and go in the chamber. Of course the 3 inch cartridge won't seat as the chamber is only 2-3/4"

View attachment 8263

I have forty 3 inch cases.

I have a 577 3inch NE reamer.

I am getting ready to send this gun off and have the load position adjusted.

The question to this group.

Should I send the reamer with the gun and have it rechambered to 3 inch?

Why?

Why not?
Send it!! Go big bore or go home. You may be glad you did when that Buffalo gets bent outta shape.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well the test fire went well. I confirmed that the load position needs adjusted, definitely.

But a far bigger problem cropped up. Extraction. The Martini action notoriously has extremely weak extraction and this gun is no exception.

The powder used for these test load was Trail Boss. Trail Boss has a reputation for excessive pressure for the velocity achieved. Not dangerous pressure, just not the kind of lower pressure associated with low velocity loads.

Consider also the large surface area of the case which has has no taper, and all these things together point to extraction issues.

Watch the video.

I can probably resolved this problem fairly easy. But I just don't want to trust this gun hunting dangerous game.

I will get the load position issue resolved and try some other powders.

But am not going to take this gun to Africa.

I already have my Outfitter/Gun Dealer looking for a Ruger 1 in 450/400 NE for me.

This gun will now become a fun gun to shoot at the range. It would make a great blind gun for pig or bear.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Looks like a light shooter with them
Practice loads. Bummer it’s not gonna work out for you like you planned for SA. Be insane to see what that would do to a bear. I know a guy with bears if you wanna ever test that out.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Oh man, hate to see your not going to use it in Africa but totally understand the reasons why.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh, don't fret guys. Everything is good. I have more than one gun. I have a 416 called a 404 Barnes express. Built back in the early 50's by Fred Barnes, the guy who started Barnes bullets. I also have another Martini in 577/500 No 2 Express. It of course is a 50 cal.

What haven't shared with you is that all the way home from the range my wife nagged, nag, nag, nag. She harped at me saying I can't take that old gun that doesn't work right to Africa, I might get hurt. She went on and on as soon as we got home she nagged some more and told me, to call the outfitter and order a new gun. Being a typical hen pecked sort of husband, I said the dutiful, "Yes Dear." My Outfitter/Gun dealer is now looking for Ruger No. 1 in 450/400 3" or 416 Ruger.

Don't come down on me guys, If the wife tells you to buy a new gun, why argue with her, just do what she says.

You guys buying this Douglas the Caspar milk toast guy, right? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
HaHa! Man must listen to wife when she says to buy a new gun!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Better make it 2 guns. Always need a backup and you don’t want the one to get lonely.

Your wife have a sister with the same line of thinking?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Okay, the wife secret has to come out. She was a widow, I was a widower. We married late in life and each of us has our own money. She gets after me because I am frugal and won't spend my my money. I saved well for retirement. I am leaving the investments to my granddaughters. I am well set with health insurance and long term care insurance. The retirement nest egg money is unassigned. She says I should be spending the investments on myself. I do. I pay my half of the Cruise or the new truck or buy an outfitted hunt.

So technically when the Wife is telling me to buy a new gun, it's not coming out her money or our money, its coming out my money. Perhaps that why she take so much pleasure out nagging me about getting a new gun, it's no skin of her nose. She is enjoying very much nagging me to spend my money.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Maybe you should spend hers just this once and squash the nagging lol.
At least y’all got it figured out and it works for you.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts