Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
What are you working on now?
A simple question with a complex answer.

1. The 577 2-3/4" NE is going to be shipped off to have the load position adjusted. When it returns it will be tested further, The Nitro Express.com guys are convinced that the problem is Trail Boss powder--it does have a history with pressure and extraction. I am aware of that problem. When the gun comes back test with other powders and see if extraction is still an issue.

2. I have a 577/500 No. 2 Express. I would like to use TSX .50 caliber 525 gr. Barnes bullets in this gun. Second choice is Woodleigh 535 grain bullets. The problem is bullets I can't find any. Third choice is Hawk bullets. Need to do research on bullet and loads. I have another Greener Martini for this cartridge

3. 404 Express. I have a 1950's sporterized 98 Mauser built by the Fred Barnes the creator of Barnes Bullets. Don't know why this is called a .404 Express as the bore is .416. The 416 (Chatfield) Taylor is different from this gun by way of a few thousands of an inch in shoulder diameter. Size brass from this gun in Taylor dies and it will squeeze the shoulder slightly, almost not perceptively. I was told years ago that many believed Chatfield-Taylor copied this design from Barnes and changed the number to call it his own. I do use Taylor load data for this gun. This gun needs drilled and tapped for scope. It currently has a Redfield Peepsight. I have good supply of bullets for this gun. I have been using a universal loading die for this gun, but have sent brass off to Whidden gun works to have dies made-should be back in July.

4. Ruger No. 1. I have my gun dealer/outfitter looking for a Ruger No. 1 in 450/400 3inch NE or .416 Ruger. We know who sold the matching serial number to my Leopard in the Buffalo issue. (450/400 3 inch NE.) My Outfitter is going to go after that gun. If I buy this gun from him he is going give me 5 days hunt fee for the10 day trip. He said after the trip I could always sell the gun, yeah right I will sell this gun, not!

So I have back up plans

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Just have the wife hit you in the shoulder a few times a day with a hammer. You can still prep for the recoil part of it.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Well crap, carpel tunnel/cubital tunnel surgery yesterday on right arm, left arm later. Everything is on hold. At least the hunt isn't for a year yet.
Stick with that rehab. It will heal faster.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts