Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Stay away from bonded soft points. They are great traditional hunting bullets, but if you don't hit the CNS the hog is going to run a hundred yards or more. Fine if you don't care where they die, but I like recovering them. The two 'worst' bullets at dropping hogs I've used are the 115gr Fusion (6.8), and it's 120gr cousin the Gold Dot (6.5).

The 120gr SST is the gold standard for killing hogs in 6.8. You can still find component bullets for ~$38/100 on places like Gunbroker. AA2200 or H335 are "the" powders for 6.8, but anything within a few slots either way on a burn rate chart are acceptable. 95gr Barnes TTSX, and 105gr Cavity Back MKZ bullets did amazingly well too.

At some point I'll be testing 100gr Nosler Accubond, 100gr Hornady GMX, and 112gr Legigh Defense Controlled Chaos in the 6.8. Right now I'm still toying with the 6.5 Grendel...a very close alternative out to 250 yards or so.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have zero experience with the 6.5 cartridge, but will be interested in the 1:11 twist using the 120 grain bullets. Could be totally wrong, but think the lighter bullets would work better.
Nice rifles. Good to see them get out of the safe and get some work done.
1:11 is what my Ambush Arms is, and it shoots legit MOA with factory 120gr SST.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I do have plenty of 120 SST's, for now. Headed to Colorado in a coupe hours on long pre planned trip to be a tourist. Don't ask. When I get back I need to sort all this out.

A thought just came to mind. Is it legal to hunt hogs with a rifle during Archery Deer season? Places I have hunted in the past, you show up in the field during bow season with a rifle would get you a ticket.
1) You have to have deer tags to hunt hogs during any of the deer seasons.

2) You definitely CAN NOT hunt hogs with a rifle, and deer with a bow/muzzleloader from the same stand at the same time. Only time that is acceptable is during rifle season. However, you are allowed to hunt either/or...so if you can prove to the game warden that you're just there to kill hogs then no ticket...but you better have good proof.

^ I've gone so far as to contact my local warden ahead of time to let him know when I was taking a rifle out for killing "coyotes" (dogs) that were running my deer and cattle. I already have a good rapport with him though as I contact him before every nighttime thermal hunt too. As such, he gives me no grief for thermal hunting hogs during archery and muzzleloader seasons...but does not want me anywhere other than my own property during rifle season.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That's about what I thought.

I have the Senior Citizen lifetime hunting license, so tags are not an issue.

So TTSX bullet work fine on hogs? I am concerned about the tip causing explosive expansion like a Horn day V-max
Here's how the 95gr TTSX did for me in the 6.8. There is no explosion like a varmint bullet...just rapid energy transfer along with pretty good penetration.

Going to add here that while I would use them again, my results weren't really any better/worse than the 120gr SST...and the SST bullet is half the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts