Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a savage 7mm wsm in December I haven't heard much good talk bout that caliber why? I dropped a deer in its tracks with it and in January went elk hunting here in Oklahoma with it and took a cow elk at 310 yards and she ran 10 yards and expired. So any info will help thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think the only problem you're going to have is the issue with the price of ammo. $30 for .30-06 ammo is enough for me!

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I hear you on the price thing. My Rem 7mm Mag isn't exactly cheap to shoot either. My buddy just picked up a Mossburg 30-06 out the door for $217. Then he went and saw the ammo price and about died. He's used to 9mm and .22 prices.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about what someone else thinks about the short magnums...I own both types..I personally like the short actions better...To me they're easier to fit a modern scope on then the long action guns..I shoot a 300 WSM and it kills everything pretty dead..My son shoots my long action 7MM rem mag. and it kills everything just as dead..as far as the price of ammo..it's all high, just watch for close outs sales or reload your own..anyway..I think you have an excellent rifle in a very good cartridge.. ;D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have avoided buying non standard calibers not just because of the price but the availability of ammo. No matter where you go in the country you can always buy, 30-06, .270, 7mm in multiple weights. I would hate to go to on a hunting trip to find that I forgot my ammo, had it confiscated by TSA, or ran out of hand loaded ammo especially in some small town in the middle of no-where.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
7MM WSM is a deadly round. So is every other caliber if properly put into the boiler room.
I've posted many dozens of pics of dead deer that I've taken with every cal from .243, on up to the 06. They all die.
Shot placement, and proper bullet construction are key to taking the targeted game.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It also helps when you maintain downrange energy for long range shots, and WSM's regardless of caliber size do that quite well.

As far as bullet placement, I read an article in one of my magazines (maybe NA Hunter) about the "Mighty .22". It said that every species of big game in NA had been historically taken with a .22 rimfire. I found that very interesting. It even suggested that it wouldn't be surprising if someone had taken some truly large game, such as elephant or rhino with one.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My brother has one in a Browning.It shoots less than 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards.So far he has killed everything
he has shot at with it.But this is after he sent the gun back to Browning, because it would not shoot any better
than 1 1/2 in. groups.They put a different barrel on the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Compare the ballistics of it with a 7mm Rem Mag & their is not that much difference.
Just like the 300 Win & 300 WSM 100 fps & 100 more foot pounds of energy @ the muzzle.

Just another marketing caliber to make money.

To see a real difference in today's wildcat cartridges look at the Rem Ultra Mags or the 7mm STW or Weatherby.

Ultimate wildcat cartridges are from Lazzoroni. Big money!!!

I thought about getting the 25WSSM in a Browning A-Bolt. It is right around the same ballistics of the 25-06 Rem.
25-06 Rem is way more affordable then 25WSSM ammo.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
A lot of the new rounds are short action Vs long action guns.
It helps alot when mounting scopes, and when reloading. Less powder for more velocity. It may only be 100FPS, but the pressures make a difference as well. We are in an era when the old powders we used have been reformulated for higher performance, and higher velocities with less barrel pressures.

In the past, SAAMMI used a copper crush to develop the max loads for center fire guns. Took awhile to get the data from that method.
The pressures were expressed in CUPS(copper units of pressure). Most people that reloaded or just common shooters didn't understand nor fathom the importance of pressure in the chamber until a gun exploded.

Now SAAMMI measures in PSI as they have load cells that can measure the pressure instantly on a computer, vs the Copper Crush method that took ten round or more to establish an average.

Pressures are set by SAMMI depending on the guns on the market currently, and those that have been on the mkt in the past.

For instance, the 30-06 has a SAAMMI max pressure of 60,000psi. The .270 has a max pressure of 65,000psi.
Reason why? Early models of the 06 had weak chambers and lots of them are still in existence, the .270 is a modern cartridge, and was designed for these pressures.

Same as the 45-70. Lots of the Black Powder versions in rolling block are still used to this day for deer rifles. SAAMMI will not allow manufacturers to make anything more powerful than the BP rifles can handle.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Ill take my 6.5 Swede anyday. But ifn the critter is reallll big, Ill go to my 7.82 Patriot, the fastest short mag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.