Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this year I harvested my forth deer, and my first buck. It was only a lil 4 point, but a nice first buck. I had only one picture on my camera of him, but 4-6 does where on it almost every day and sometimes 2 or more times. I hunted all through bow and muzzie never even seeing a deer but knowing they were there. . .

OK, so rifle started to roll around, and still no deer. I had up to this point always knew the importance of scent, but decided to go a step further and use a scent blocker/eliminator. I had heard both good and bad about them, and have had deer and pigs within 40 yards of me with not even a care about scent, so I wasnt to sure about this stuff. But, before season started I mixed up a home brew scent eliminator.

The opening day (November 20) I sadly overslept the morning hunt, and decided to get in extra early for the evening hunt. So, I get there and pull out my spray bottle of scent eliminator and spray up. My stand is about 175 yards to the S.W. of my food plot. The wind was a steady N.E. and blowing directly toward it. But I decided to stick it out and hope for the best. Right before dark the lil buck came beating it out of the creek and stopped on my plot. I took the shot and the 30-30 open sights did the trick. He went about 5 yards. I got him all took care of and decided to pull the camera pictures. Eventually got to looking at them, and there were two does on the plot the morning I shot him. Kinda funny because I overslept, but would have gladly took either of the does that morning if I hadnt.

Ok, so now my question is do you think the scent eliminator helped my bag the deer, or was it the does on the patch that morning? Or did both of them combined help? I have since saw 6 does from the same stand same exact spot where he was, wearing the scent killer. I am hooked. I think bowhunting it is even more important... But what do all think?

And sorry for being so looooooong winded. Its just who I am.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Probably both, downwind is most important. I have been hunting deer in OK 35 yrs and keep deer in freezer. The best scent blocker I have found is crushed cedar needles and walk in fresh cow poop. If possible always hunt with wind in your face. Congrats on meat in freezer.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I think scent elimination is one of many tools that a good hunter should use to help bag a critter. Scent Loc suits and sprays and lotions and potions by themselves will not let you totally fool a deers nose. Play the wind and utilize all the scent killing that you can and you'll most likely see more deer. Now I do think that the scent lock suits and a couple of different spray do reduce scent as I've had deer almost step on me, but I don't think you could come in from the gym, gas station and Taco Bell and put on a carbon suit and do well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have had two stands, but I had lost land to other hunters-LEASERS actually. . . And all of that was kinda of last minute. Downwind is very important I belive, I have had the drop on many deer because of that. But a front was coming and the weather was all messed up so I had just decided to stick it out anyways...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I always use odor neutralizer. This year, I discovered Primos Earth Blend Silver XP, and absolutely love it. I have not been busted this year so far, as far as I could tell. I've had deer come 30 yds dead downwind, and not even know I was there.

As far as cover scent, I step in mud and cow pies, and (using a gloved hand or it hurts) grab fresh cedar leaves and rub it on my pants and shirt. Once I'm on stand, I hang a fresh earth scent wafer. I've even been known to use my knife and scrape cedar bark to let it bleed the fragrant sap out.

Every little bit helps!

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I use a cover scent and spray. I'm not for the scent loc suit you can buy as you can't reactivate them beyond 25% of the original level. The only Scent loc suit I have is a military issue CBR suit. If it protects me from a chemical attack and keeps my scent contained it works for me. Only thing is it a sit down and wait suit. If ya walk for than a 100y with gear your sweting your rear off and get all soggy. The wind is the most inportant factor and keeping quiet as well.

I have been busted by more deer just because I can't sit still. I'm a spot and stalker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts