Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but had a question about places to work a bird dog. I'm new to OK, living out in Yukon, and have a 10mo old GSP I'm trying to train. Do any of you know places within an hour or so I can use to work the dog on some birds? I'd be willing to pay a little bit for some land access if need be.

Or, if anyone wants to get together and work some dogs on birds, let me know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I'm not too sure but I'm sure someone will have an answer for you shortly.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
You should have some WMA's in your area to work a dog on. Just can't carry a gun if it's not in season. Canton lake comes to mind. The Oklahoma wildlife dept has interactive maps on their website.
wildlifedepartment.com

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I used to work my lab at lake stanley draper and used a cap gun.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Land's shouldn't be a problem, birds, well that might be another story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work my dog as Lake Draper. Big open soccer fields for casting practice, tall grassy areas for upland practice and mostly the lake for water retrieves. Call Quail Ridge if you want to set up a mock upland hunt. The Sooner Retriever club is also active and put on good events.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I work my dog as Lake Draper. Big open soccer fields for casting practice, tall grassy areas for upland practice and mostly the lake for water retrieves. Call Quail Ridge if you want to set up a mock upland hunt. The Sooner Retriever club is also active and put on good events.
Good info!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts

I know right where the soccer fields are. I hunt and fish Draper regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i think you should take a closer look at the forest clearings maybe a few km away from your home. I go for a 4km run with my dog every morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts