Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the weather and they're calling for snow 24-26. But just to keep this from being a Norman Rockwell Christmas, the wind is suppose to be up to 50mph!!! Hope everyone has a safe and merry Christmas!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Yeah, the wind is what will suck. Makes it tough getting around to do some bird hunting with all the snow drifts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im through with that evil white stuff. After five years living in the snow belt in ohio im done i will be a happy man if i never see snow again in my life besides tv ill die a happy man.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
You must have been up in the Cleveland/Buffalo area. I spend lots of time up there in 2002 to 2004 in January. Its snowed every day and the sun never came out. It got to be kind of depressing after awhile. I can see why there is a bar in every neighborhood.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i can do without the winds as i am trying to fill my ks buck tag that weekend hunted tonight and watched a huge 8pt for a long time with no shot at 30yds talk about aggravting but back at it next weekend

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Don't know if I can get it done with christmas and all but, since reading a story about a guy that tracks deer in the snow for miles has always interested me to see if it can be done.
He picked up one set of tracks and stayed on it until he took the buck. Looking at his trophy's he must know what he is doing.
I guess the only bad part is you have to walk back. ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I have hunted deer in the snow an I can tell you I'd rather do it anyday of the week than hunt without it. Not only is it easy to find fresh tracks, right after a snow or while its snowing, but tracking a shot animal is easy. You just follow the red carpet left behind. Dragging is also easier.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I double lung shot a deer with my 06 in the snow one year, and the spray of blood behind the deer was amazing. Now when we watch CSI or one of those crime shows and they are looking all over the room for blood spatter, I can understand.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's looking like tomorrow is going to be a bit of a blizzard.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Yeah, may have to cancel the hunting plans and plan on keeping my road open thru out the day so the family can make it to our house on christmas eve. They are calling for 15" here now, so it may be an all day thing. I brought home two trailer loads of gravel to spread on the hill after getting the snow off.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
35 degrees and rain here as of now. The wind is blowing so hard that it sounds like a roar thru the trees. Nothing frozen falling yet.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1100 sleet started

1122 sleet covers the ground, temp dropped 6 degrees and wind still howling.

Me thinks it's here.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
23 degrees, 37mph sustained winds, and horizontal snow falling. Visibility about 100 yds. Suprisingly enough the roads aren't bad at all. The wind continues to blow the snow off the roads. We just ventured out to a friends farm to deliver a christmas present.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I have some good pics from my place. I have 3 foot snow drifts in the back yard and as high as the tops of my wheel wells on the truck. My front door has at least 18" up against it. My only way out of the house is through the garage roll up door and out the back door provided I keep the drift cleared away.
I'll get pics downloaded soon.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know how much snow there is but the drifts are up to 3-4 ft in some places. Had to go pull the SiL out of a ditch and went up the road to circle around the section to get home. Had to go around a car that got high centered in the snow in the middle of the road, no prob. Just short of the next 4 way intersection, that was clear of any snow, I meet a brand new Chevy truck that, instead of waiting for me to come down the hill and thru all the drifts, he guns it up the hill and runs me off the road into one of the 3ft snow drifts and into the ditch. He sees me get stuck, slows down and then takes off! Thanks buddy! So another dude in a truck stops, pulls me out and I turn around and go the way I came. Well, remember the car stuck in the middle of the road? The dude in the Chevy tried to go around it, got stuck, the car is pulled out and everyone leaves him. I come up next to him and slow waay down and the people inside the Chevy look and point at me. I just waved, honked at 'em and drove off. Hope they didn't get too cold!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Awesome! Glad you left the idiot.
We only got about 3" of snow here, but with the drifts we had to cancel the christmas dinner with family we always have at our house. So, I got out the tractor and bladed off the drive and drove it over to some friends houses and bladed off their drives. It got kind of chilly on that 3 mile drive, but they did have some warm adult refresments ready for me when I got there. ;D
Gonna get the three wheeler out in a bit and do a little snow busting with it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Just spent all morning removing 4' drifts from in front of my garage doors and driveway. Thank God we have a tractor. Went down the drive and hit a big drift and it brought me to a screeching stop even in 4 wheel drive. Thank God for the tractor again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.