Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I do like the Jim Beam Vanilla, but ya don't want to drink a lot of it as it'll tell on ya the next morning.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
I had a funny story with the Jim Beam Vanilla, but I am afraid I will get a block from the forum if I am telling you all the shit that happened then. Alcohol is very bad when you take it in huge doses. It starts by affecting your body, and more important – your mind.
We seem to be getting posts from the Michigan area recently. Are you coming to OK to hunt/fish?

Reactions: Overali

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
I had a funny story with the Jim Beam Vanilla, but I am afraid I will get a block from the forum if I am telling you all the shit that happened then. Alcohol is very bad when you take it in huge doses. It starts by affecting your body, and more important – your mind.
Welcome to OKH. So do you like to hunt and fish? If so what’s your pleasure? I was a sailor so no story involving alcohol is a bad story lol.

Reactions: Overali

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I don't drink much anymore, usually only when the wife has a glass of wine I'll have a glass with her. Usually a Dornefelder if we have any in the house. I will lower my standards and drink her nasty Barefoot Muscato if I have to.

Once in a while I will pour me a Marie Daffau bas Napoleon Armagnac. That is a special order from the liquor store. A bottle will last me a year or two.

Every Christmas my next door neighbor daughter gets me a bottle of 18 year old McAllans. That is carefully distributed by pouring a double wee dram in a Glencairn glass and adding one single drop of water. That bottle is usually finished up the week or so before Christmas, just in time for new bottle. This year it was gone by October. That it is because it was only being used medicinally to prevent covid. Worked so far.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dennis, the local walmart here has the Santa Fe Happy Camper along with 7K and one other I think. Maybe it's more available in your area now as your post was last year.

I'm an IPA drinker almost exclusively. Don't care for a double/triple IPA or the fruity ones. Founders All Day, Founders Mosaic, Stone IPA, Coop F5, Prairie Imperial IPA to name a few. Just tried a couple of the Prairie brews and really like them(early Christmas present). Spending most of the last 25 years in CO, I'm almost at the point I can't drink a domestic beer(Coors, Bud Light) UNLESS it's someone else's then not too bad if cold enough!

Whiskey is generally Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace. BUT, if you can find a Trader Joe's that sells alcohol(not just wine), they have a TJ brand made by Buffalo Trace and it's pretty good and a great price. Generally pick up a bottle of Breckenridge Rye or whiskey if in CO and can get back to OK. Have to admit that Blanton's was about as good of a whiskey as I've drank. Those that are mentioning any kind of flavored whiskey like apple, vanilla, maple, etc...really need to get some professional help!!

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
I don’t go to Walmart (COVID central) but they do offer curb side pick up, alcohol included so I’ll look for that Santa Fe ipa and see if they stock it at our local store. I’ve tried the local liquor stores and they don’t carry it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've been drinking cocktails in the evening at times. Last night I made a whiskey sour with some whiskey friends from Tennessee brought me earlier this winter.

2 oz whiskey (in this instance Chattanooga Whiskey)
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup (I make my own)
half an orange wheel and a cherry for garnish.

Shake over ice and serve in a rocks glass. I just pour mine over ice in the glass as I'm a heathen.

SS recipe I used: 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup sugar simmered. Added a handful of frozen raspberries and let simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off remaining fruit and cool. Was awesome with the lemon juice in this drink.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For a world beater Old Fashioned use this recipe:

3 oz of Bulleit Rye (the Rye matters in this recipe but it's likely good with just about any decent rye whiskey)
1/2 oz blackberry simple syrup (recipe below)
2 dashes Angusturo Bitters
2 Luxardo Cherries for garnish

stir and serve in a rocks glass with ice

SS: 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup sugar simmered. Add a handful of frozen blackberries and let simmer. Strain off remaining fruit and cool.

Earthy, spicy, fruity and freakin' great!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Polished off a bottle of Gnarly Head wine last night. A friend of mine said he bought it purely on the catchy name. He told me if I run out I can always say “ I need to get me some Gnarly Head”. Have to admit it was a dang good red wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
We had family Christmas tonight. Wife mixed up a cocktail of 1 shot of Jim Beam apple bourbon, 1 shot of buttershot schnapps, and sprite zero over ice in a 20 oz mug. It doesn't sound like a good mix but danged it was good! Went back for seconds!

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
We had family Christmas tonight. Wife mixed up a cocktail of 1 shot of Jim Beam apple bourbon, 1 shot of buttershot schnapps, and sprite zero over ice in a 20 oz mug. It doesn't sound like a good mix but danged it was good! Went back for seconds!
Try that same Jim Bean with cream soda. It’s fantastic!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Straight Disaronna for me tonight.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Sandhill Plum Jam Old Fashioned

3 oz bourbon
1 tbs of my mother's homemade sandhill plum jam
2 dashes bitters

dissolve jam in bourbon and bitters and pour all into rocks glass with ice. Garnish with plum wedge. Think of Mom while drinking.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts

Sandhill Plum Jam Old Fashioned

3 oz bourbon
1 tbs of my mother's homemade sandhill plum jam
2 dashes bitters

dissolve jam in bourbon and bitters and pour all into rocks glass with ice. Garnish with plum wedge. Think of Mom while drinking.
Interesting combo. I do like Old Fashions. Had one that was "smoked" at the Top of The Rock in Missouri last year.
You have me thinking of the jalapeno jam we have that was given to us as a possibility to try.
Never thought the jalapeno would be good in a cocktail until trying a jalapeno martini in OKC on a whim. Really good.

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Those sound like a ladies drink minus the pepper part. Beers about all I partake in anymore. Coors Banquet mostly.

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
The old fashion cocktails are having a renaissance along with some of the other classics like a Manhattan. The fluffy foo-foo drinks some serve now aren't meant for men with hair on their legs, and guns on their hips! :p

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I grew up pretty rough. As a young man we drank whatever we could get our hands on. I'm no stranger to rough whiskey straight from the bottle.

I like a good steak. With my Weber I can grill up a pretty decent steak. However, a dry-aged steak prepared and served in a high-end steakhouse is pretty damned hard to beat. In my mind it's the same with cocktails. I can slosh some Crown into a Solo cup and be satisfied but at this point in my life I am able to enjoy really nice liquor enhanced by the flavors of a balanced cocktail. I think the ladies got the right of this one.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts