Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about the 300 wsm I won last weekend and after some investigation I find out the gun is actually a 6.5 prc. Here’s what threw me. The magazine has 300 wsm stamped on it but when I finally had time to look at all the paperwork and open the box I found this 6.5 prc shell casing. No where on the gun does it give the caliber. I even took it apart this evening and still found nothing. Called the guy who donated the gun to confirm it’s a 6.5 prc and he said yes it is. Here’s the bad news-Ammunition for this gun runs from $2,50-$5.00 a round. It can shoot a mile but dang them some high dollar projectiles. The guy who donated it said that’s why it’s been sitting in his gun store for so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Still a sharp looking tool. I had to shed a rifle for that very same reason. Not being a reloader yet I paid out the rear for three boxes factory ammo which had to be ordered and waited on it, when I got it the thing was in my safe for almost three years. I pulled it out one day squeezed off three shots felt light in my pockets and traded it that next weekend. Ol’ boy I traded had it posted about 4mo later. Good rifle just high dollar rounds.
Now with all you just found out about this new bang stick I know you were excited about the 300wsm don’t get down you are in luck! A member here has recently posted a 300wsm for sale it’s a pretty slick looking rifle and I might be wrong but I think he gets up around your way every now and again. (Got your back Archer22, no commission)

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
That’s strange the mag has a 300 WSM on it. Wonder if it got mixed up with the original mag. Strange it wasn’t stamped on the barrel either.
Hold onto it for a rainy day sale/ funds if need be. 6.5 bullets are rather easy to find with all the 6.5 variants these days. Brass and dies are about your biggest obstacle.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
That’s strange the mag has a 300 WSM on it. Wonder if it got mixed up with the original mag. Strange it wasn’t stamped on the barrel either.
Hold onto it for a rainy day sale/ funds if need be. 6.5 bullets are rather easy to find with all the 6.5 variants these days. Brass and dies are about your biggest obstacle.
That's probably because the .300 WSM and the 6.5 PRC have the same parent cartridge they developed this new round from.
The 6.5 PRC is one heck of a long range round.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
That's probably because the .300 WSM and the 6.5 PRC have the same parent cartridge they developed this new round from.
The 6.5 PRC is one heck of a long range round.
Funny how this whole PRC discussion is going on and last night I was watching an Idaho bear hunt on YouTube and they were using 6.5 PRCs. 3 of the bears got shot from over 600-1k yards. They raved about how awesome the long range ballistics are. Did a number on the bears as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
6.5 PRC is even better in my mind. The 300 WSM is really a good round, but probably a bit overkill (ruined meat) on deer and smaller sized game.

You have a legit all around rifle there. The only "downside" to the 6.5 PRC is that the barrel isn't going to make it past 1500 rounds...but in a hunting rig that will take a lifetime.

The upside is that you can reach out pretty far with .308 - .30-06 level recoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts