Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years some of my Michigan friends come down in the spring to help do some prairie dog control. This last weekend had beautiful weather and a ton of great shooting. Add to that a bit of beer and some really good food and it made for a memorable weekend.

They bring gifts.

They shoot mostly smaller bore bolt action rifles with specialized long distance scopes. Much of the shooting is in excess of 350 yards with some taken at 500+. My brother and I locate, spot and heckle as the shooting really no longer interests us as much as the companionship.

The shooters were a bit more conservative of their ammo compared to past years but still managed to burn through 1200+ rounds this year.

Some prairie dogs were shot despite the wind and poor guiding.

A prairie rattler of some size was also disposed of, skinned and eaten much to the joy of the midwesterners.

I got some neat video that I'll post once I get it edited.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Taste like tree rat with a side a sage.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Awesome shoot and pics! Prairie dog shooting is and has been on my bucket list of things to hunt. I may get to fill that list this summer in Montana. No license required and no limits on public lands.
Friend that is a Game Warden use to be in Cimarron county before transferring back to my neck of the woods. He said big RV's with a half dozen folks from the east coast would come out and shoot the dogs with precision rifles. Some had custom built barrels 2" in diameter shooting way out there. \
Just out of curiosity was the snake being skinned for the meat or for the hide or both? Rattlesnake is pretty good eating.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
We have them all over around here. My boys take the .22 out and go shoot a few together. They keep it under 100y however.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity was the snake being skinned for the meat or for the hide or both? Rattlesnake is pretty good eating.
My brother skinned and cleaned the snake. The Michigan boys had brought a bunch of walleye for a fish fry so we cut the snake into 1" sections and fried him up also. He was pretty tasty but awfully boney.

I stretched the hide on a piece of 2x6 and rubbed a bunch of salt on it. Sent it home with one of the shooters. Those boys thought they'd died and gone to ******* heaven.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Next time roll the hide up loosely and put it in a mason jar of 50% rubbing alcohol & 50% Glycerin (medical supply isle in any pharmacy) of equal parts. Let it sit for 3-4 days. Jen rly shake the jar 1-2 times a day. All the fat and oil will sink to the bottom. Pull it out and tack it down on a board. Add a coat of just Glycerin with a paint brush and your GTG. The skin is now tanned. I’ve done at least a dozen plus skins of various snake species this way and my boys have done a few as wells. I use a stained cedar board (1x6/8/12x & however long needed).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Kelulu where are the dogs and can I come annihilate some?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
That sounds like a heck of a good time you all had. Nothing better IMHO. And Bull, thanks for the info on snake hide tanning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts