Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Egg snatchers wipe them out! Not to go growing deer on y’all again but Dr. Grant had a blanket made of co*n pelts and it looked awesome! Maybe something to think about!
I went out last night and this morning hoping I could get a couple off the corn or maybe a opossum but all I did was jump deer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. Grant probably didn't spend all of his pelt-blanket money on a 6.5CM, Bushnell scope, and 1,700 bullets either :D .

I should be picking up two bobcats from the taxidermist in the next week or so too. This is going to be a tight fall.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Dr. Grant probably didn't spend all of his pelt-blanket money on a 6.5CM, Bushnell scope, and 1,700 bullets either :D .

I should be picking up two bobcats from the taxidermist in the next week or so too. This is going to be a tight fall.
Hahahaha yeah you are probably correct with that! Way he leaves all the stickers on his rifles I’m not sure how many he actually purchases himself! That blanket probably cost around a grand to have made if I was guessing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Questions about "bait". Dry cat food or wet? I assumed wet for the smell but my traps will be close to the corn feeder they're raiding daily. Or should I just skip the cat food and push some corn kernels into the marshmallows that will be in and around the trap?

Dennis suggested cramming a big marshmallow below the trigger and smaller ones around it. Thinking to do the same just add the corn kernels.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Questions about "bait". Dry cat food or wet? I assumed wet for the smell but my traps will be close to the corn feeder they're raiding daily. Or should I just skip the cat food and push some corn kernels into the marshmallows that will be in and around the trap?

Dennis suggested cramming a big marshmallow below the trigger and smaller ones around it. Thinking to do the same just add the corn kernels.
I don’t even use corn, although that would be additional attractant. Never hurts to stack the deck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think Dennis' suggestion is good. I remember hearing that years ago before I was ever interested in trapping.

I'm literally using semi-soured corn. 50lb bag across three 5 gallon buckets with 1/3 can of kool-aid powder in each. I've had decent luck with it so far. I would expect continued good luck near feeders where corn is dispensed.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Just to be honest, nothing but marshmallows are required.
Don’t be overthinking trapping raccoons.
They are curious critters willing to investigate anything.
Back when trapping for money, prior to dog proof traps, used water sets with foil wrapped on the pan set just below the surface.
The curious nature in them made them set the trap off. If the water was deep enough, I’d make into a drowning set where their struggles only took them into deeper water.
Lots of tricks in the trapping world.
Later on we can get into other methods.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Just to be honest, nothing but marshmallows are required.
Don’t be overthinking trapping raccoons.
They are curious critters willing to investigate anything.
Back when trapping for money, prior to dog proof traps, used water sets with foil wrapped on the pan set just below the surface.
The curious nature in them made them set the trap off. If the water was deep enough, I’d make into a drowning set where their struggles only took them into deeper water.
Lots of tricks in the trapping world.
Later on we can get into other methods.
I was just gonna say I’ve heard and read of folks using aluminum foil in the bottom of traps. They like shiny things and it seemed to work by getting the curiosity up.
I may have to set are live trap in the backyard. We had another bandit in the tree in the backyard at 2am this morning. The dog was going guano crazy trying to get at it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you aren’t concerned about possibly catching someone’s house cat sardines work great. The oil and smell last a long time and I’ve baited at least 6 cuffs with 1 can. If you get hungry while trapping you also have a snack available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like this idea. Unfortunately I do have barn cats and a couple outside house cats, so it does limit me a bit while I'm within closer proximity to the buildings. However, this coming late winter I'm going to go after these critters elsewhere with a vengeance and hopefully start getting some turkeys back. I'll be playing with all the baits then.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I really like this idea. Unfortunately I do have barn cats and a couple outside house cats, so it does limit me a bit while I'm within closer proximity to the buildings. However, this coming late winter I'm going to go after these critters elsewhere with a vengeance and hopefully start getting some turkeys back. I'll be playing with all the baits then.
If you want the birds back trapping is the first thing we should all start doing. I’ve been following what your doing and going out at night but all I’ve managed to do is jump deer. I’ve walked out and had as many as 10 on the deck. We have them thick here

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want the birds back trapping is the first thing we should all start doing. I’ve been following what your doing and going out at night but all I’ve managed to do is jump deer. I’ve walked out and had as many as 10 on the deck. We have them thick here
This is where thermal helps (im not trying to sell you anything). I frequently thread the needle between deer at night, often getting 100 yards or so and having them be completely unaware of my presence as long as the wind is in my favor.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the reaction to the shot?
Heads snap up, but frequently they don't run...as in more than 50% of the time if I drop a hog (DRT) with no squealing etc... they'll just look in the direction of the impact.

That changes once I start shooting a bunch of rounds, or the hogs are making a lot of noise in death.

Here's an example on a fairly bright night:

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Heads snap up, but frequently they don't run...as in more than 50% of the time if I drop a hog (DRT) with no squealing etc... they'll just look in the direction of the impact.

That changes once I start shooting a bunch of rounds, or the hogs are making a lot of noise in death.

Here's an example on a fairly bright night:
I've experienced the same reaction from deer when there are several on my food plot even in daylight.
If I shoot a deer and it drops dead, they will go heads up or maybe bolt into the brush a short distance, then come back into the food plot.
If the deer thrashes or runs a few yards before expiring, the deer are in panic mode and gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts