Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Youngest and I went out today. Bite was hit and miss but son pulled a fatty 18” rainbow through the ice. I lost 3-4 fish that just gummed it and spit it out. Was a solid 10” thick ice.

50BC516A-9642-4D9B-A2B0-C9663AC99968.jpeg
00C0A2ED-ED89-43D6-A254-148F10A205BF.jpeg
9247C5FE-3B32-4B14-966B-F37CD32EA168.jpeg
0279E52B-9D9E-4E77-855A-4791C1BBEB4D.jpeg

My little 15” bow from the same place last week.
021045C0-5282-4D75-A631-0580BFB69E1F.jpeg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang that looks frigid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was 10* but -1* with the wind chill. It’s was actually a gorgeous day out.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice !! I’ll stick to heated docks
For next season I plan to get a hub style pop up shanty and then a little propane heater to go inside.

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
For next season I plan to get a hub style pop up shanty and then a little propane heater to go inside.
Absolutely do that. Makes it into a new experience that isn't unpleasant.
Congrats on the fishing!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely do that. Makes it into a new experience that isn't unpleasant.
Congrats on the fishing!
The winds can get brutal for sure and a ice shelter is a must. Today was almost a bluebird kinda day and being camped out on the open ice was wonderful. Given this is our first real season to ice fish I’m slowly but surly getting the needed gear. Starting a new hobby is never cheap lol. I’ll be watching spring sales for sure.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't ice fish but figure my double bull blind would make a nice shelter along with my Mr Buddy heater. And I'd need to cut a couple feet off my good rod!
Essentially the ice huts that are hub style are just like a hunting blind except they have an insulation layer inside to retain heat and the door/ window layout is limited. I need to get a buddy heater as well. Some guys attach a small plate on top to cook stuff on. I thought about using my 2 man pop up blind but its cramped just hunting from it with one of my kids and gear in it. Instead of buying a gas auger I use my DeWalt drill and an adapter. I cut 43-8” holes through 10” of ice yesterday and didn’t even use half my battery power. I have the hand crank for the auger just in case. As far as rods go ice rods come in as many variations as full size do. I’ve got a dozen in various spines. I also have a couple tip ups. If you wanna cheat for an ice rod go to wallyworld and get a kids Disney kinda of rod.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you cast over handed or under handed? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m supposed to cast? That explains why I’ve only caught 1. I’ve just sorta dropped it to the bottom and jiggled it around.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Nice rainbow, tubby lil feller. You guys are getting the hang of this pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice rainbow, tubby lil feller. You guys are getting the hang of this pretty quick.
Trout will eat about anything so they are easy to catch, per say. It’s the walleye I wanna get after. That takes skill....

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My son pulled a personal best 21 3/4”, 4.8lb rainbow from the ice. A fat toad for sure.

783CAEE2-1D12-4FCE-B147-B77E2AE50265.jpeg
EA6F3DC4-76AF-4D3B-A3F7-24C0CF7CC0F2.jpeg

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
Awesome catch!

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy sent me this clip of my sons fish he was planning to add to his YouTube channel. He owns a WY Hunting & Fishing channel and films his hunts and fishing trips. Anyway my son with his 21 3/4", 4.8 lb Rainbow he got on a tip-up and a live shiner.

https://youtu.be/RbE4dPyJ6fE

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
My buddy sent me this clip of my sons fish he was planning to add to his YouTube channel. He owns a WY Hunting & Fishing channel and films his hunts and fishing trips. Anyway my son with his 21 3/4", 4.8 lb Rainbow he got on a tip-up and a live shiner.

https://youtu.be/RbE4dPyJ6fE
My Virus protection blocked me from this link saying it was suspicious.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts