Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think my youngest has figured out this ice fishing thing. Went and fished a lake up the road for the first time through ice today. He pulled the only one through the ice. A buddy busted 2 off at the hole. Was hard fishing trying to figure out how shallow they were and what they wanted.
A0A50F68-FE50-4565-B5B8-09F663ABD342.jpeg

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
Nice rainbow. Looks cold out there. LOL!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice rainbow. Looks cold out there. LOL!
Wind chill was in the teens. We actually got out of the ice shanty as it was getting hot inside.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Beefy looking trout y'all are catching.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Beefy looking trout y'all are catching.
A few have been chunky. They are getting ready for the spawn so the ladies are full of eggs and the guys will soak you the moment they leave the water.

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oldest boy and I went out last Saturday. Had to go play with my new/ used underwater camera. 7 hours of not even a bite followed by 10 minutes of activity and 3 mini walleyes right at dusk AND as we were packing up. you have to look close to see the fish lol they were only 6-10”. Someday I’ll get one that meets the 12” min for points lol. I’m fishing a 2 day tournament this weekend so who knows...
265A9CF6-592E-4B21-9B75-F07BADECD0E7.jpeg
B3C4145B-2546-4C80-A4D9-620F1ED9FDEE.jpeg
0F0B2CC6-5804-4409-A517-74901A8C4ED0.jpeg

·
Administrator
13,583 Posts
Bullbuster I think by Monday the ice here will be thick and I might cut a hole in one of my good bass ponds. What do you suggest? Slow rolling a spinner, pig&jig, buzz bait or Zara Spook?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Be careful in those ponds. Buddy and I went out one morning on his pond. Chopped a hole in the 12” thick ice. No fish but by the time we walked. Back to the edge, the sun had thawed the ice which was thinner near the edge and it was still below freezing. We fell through but it was only waist deep so we walked out.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bullbuster I think by Monday the ice here will be thick and I might cut a hole in one of my good bass ponds. What do you suggest? Slow rolling a spinner, pig&jig, buzz bait or Zara Spook?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For the most part anything you have to cast and retrieve in order for it to work is in effective through the ice. Tube jigs-vertically jigged, live minnows on a fuzzy jig, even a rattletrap vertically jigged could work. We don’t many lakes within bass in them and I’ve never targeted them yet here much less through the ice.
I mainly target a variety of trout/ Kokanee and walleye.
If you do not have an auger you can use a chainsaw to cut a hole. My auger has an 8” blade on it with an attachment for my DeWalt drill. Depending on the thickness I can cut 20-50 holes in 8-16” of ice with it on a single battery. I carry 2 just in case.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts