Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year Gooserbat Game Calls partners with the Oklahoma NWTF, NatGear Camo, and the Stuart Ranch to give away a two-day guided Oklahoma turkey hunt to a member of the armed forces that has seen combat action since September 11. This year's winner was Tim Andrews of the US Navy, currently stationed in Illinois.

This is Tim's bird from the first day of the hunt. We were on birds from day break, but just could not make it happen early. We were driving in the ranch's Suburban trying to find a bird (honestly on our way back for lunch) when we turned the corner and saw two gobblers and a hen in a power line cut. They really did not seem to care about us since the Stuart Ranch is a working ranch and they birds are fairly used to the ranch trucks. We turned around to get out of sight and made a circle around them on foot.

The eagerly responed to all calling but slowly moved away. Since it was late in the morning and super windy, I decided to go for the hail mary and get aggressive with them. They apparently liked it! I called more in 5 minutes than I did all day! Clay Forst, the Stuart Ranch guide, said it was a calling freakout, and I think he was right.
Here is the video, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Nice bird. Nice to see a squid on the show.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Congrats to them and you for taking the time to get these guys out!
Really enjoyed the video. How many have you called in so far this year?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called in 13 birds that got killed this year, four were mine. That includes jakes. There were four or five more that were called into range, but were not killed for whatever reason. It was a pretty good spring for me!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Good season I guess. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too bad! ;D

It was actually one of my best seasons. If you just count numbers it was the best, but a couple of years ago I saw 11 go down and only 3 were jakes. Five gobblers in MO, 3 gobblers and 3 jakes in Kansas.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What type of video equipment do you use?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of video equipment do you use?
It is a Canon Vixa, but I don't know the exact model. I don't really have any other accessories other than a cheap tripod. I need to upgrad tripods so the videos are not so jumpy when I move the camera. If I keep filming in Oklahoma I am going to have to get an external shotgun microphone and windscreen! The wind was howling that day!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I just use my iphone, but the wind really destroys any audio in Ok.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Try a GoPro Cam. It can be mounted anywhere. I would like to have one if I had the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts