Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the dead line on the fish and game web site for landowners to register for goat hunting. My question is how does a hunter go about getting in contact with a landowner to hunt there property or do the land owners sell all the hunts to guides? In other words who do I have to call to kill/pay a speed goat?

Is there any state land antelope hunting available? I havent had much researching on the net.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the landowner tags are for landowners only. they cant sell the tags to anyone. there are special antelope drawings for everyone else but the deadline was the 15th. there are some ranches that do guided hunts if you draw a tag, but u will pay for those hunts. Ive been on two antelope hunts in cimmerron county and the best way i have found is to drive around until you find antelope then find the landowner and try and get permission. they will charge some kind of trespass few and that could be anywhere from 500.00 and up.

there is some public land that has antelope but your best be is to find private. there is a general archery season where you can buy otc tags but again stay with private land

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I have never been, but talked to some that have, and talked to a game ranger that used to be his territory.
Pretty much what Callmaker said is true.
There is a meeting somewhere, and the landowners are there with their lease prices. Some are totally stupid.
The GW said to hunt the Rita Blanca National Grass lands. Its free and there are antelope there.

My question for those that have been there, is how do they taste? Never really heard.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Like a wild goat! :D ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
antelope is some of the best tasting meat if its handled right. i used to be a guide in wyoming and ive had alot of goat meat and I can tell you if you get it skinned and the meat on ice as soon as it hits the ground that will make a world of difference. another factor is if the animal is spooked or have been chased before you shoot him the meat will have a stronger taste. My dad drew a tag this past year and we got him a nice goat the second morning, he missed on the first mourning. buck never knew waht hit him and we had him caped, and on ice within an hour. the best tasting meat ive ever had, not gamey at all

·
Registered
918 Posts
Callmaker look up Bob and Jane Apple in Kenton Ok I know that have alot of ground out in Kenton and allow guys to hunt for a small tresspass fee

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Just need to get drawn now. If my past history of getting drawn is any measure, I'll die of old age before getting to go. :'(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am going to look into the grassslands. I want to make sure I get a chance to hunt everything the state offers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts