Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, that title may get a few to look which might not otherwise so apologies if expecting a discussion of the 2 legged variety instead of 4 legged!

My buddy has a problem with beavers damning up his ponds. While he wouldn't necessarily mind shooting them, he'd prefer to see if possible to trap/relocate. Is that possible to live trap a beaver or will it just be someone else killing them instead? Know anyone who'd be interested in trapping?

He has to go out every couple of weeks with a tractor and break one apart or the damn will overflow and possibly collapse. In doing so, the beavers go gnaw on a few more trees in order to rebuild. Looks like the amazon deforestation around the pond now with all the trees chewed down!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Contact the Wildlife Predator Control agent for your area. They will catch the beavers or kill them. Blow the dams if needed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We tried several methods of live catch.

We tried snares.

We tried leg traps.

We ended up shooting the little bastards.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Kill them. Transplanting them will only cause grief to someone else.
You can use drowning sets or with permission from the area GW use conibear kill traps.
Either will kill them but you need to have water a couple feet deep to use a drowning set.
Tell your buddy to skin them and send the hides off to a place that tans hides. They can be sewn into great pillows.

Reactions: rswink

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Best way to hunt them is to set on the ground with a sack of carrots or celery and just start munching on those crisp vegetables as loud as you can. Beavers will come straight to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Best way to hunt them is to set on the ground with a sack of carrots or celery and just start munching on those crisp vegetables as loud as you can. Beavers will come straight to you.

Something tells me this tactic has been tried in the past.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Something tells me this tactic has been tried in the past.
Yes. When I was in junior high an older man who was teaching me to trap pulled this joke on me. I munched through a big ziplock bag of each with no results. We would bust out laughing anytime someone asked him how to get rid of beavers right up until he passed away.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
I suspected it was something like snipe hunting at night with a gunny sack.
Mom took her Girl Scouts out to Uncles ranch for an overnight camping trip. They each got a bag and a cattle track to sit on.
Uncle and I were in the tree line throwing round rocks through the grass. You could hear them squealing in the dark that they could hear them running.

Reactions: kwaynem
1 - 15 of 15 Posts