Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the hoggies are this year. Heard that Ft Sill had the fires and hired a helo gunner to take out their hogs, rest of the area around there burnt big time. Think I need to get the 6.8 out for it's maiden hunt.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
SE okla is the only place I consistently hear about hogs.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ft. Sill and Lake Lawtanka have quite a few hogs. Ask Guage he can tell more about the area. I do know tha Sill has alot.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Still got lot's of hogs running the lake.
But ya got to ditch the 6.8 & get ya a slug gun.
Found a new place on Ellsworth that is kicking up hogs.
Just so darn hot that once ya get one on the ground, ya got to haul A$$ not to loose the meat.

Morning hunts that start at 5:00 a.m. & end by 9:30 a.m.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Still got lot's of hogs running the lake.
But ya got to ditch the 6.8 & get ya a slug gun.
Found a new place on Ellsworth that is kicking up hogs.
Just so darn hot that once ya get one on the ground, ya got to haul A$$ not to loose the meat.

Morning hunts that start at 5:00 a.m. & end by 9:30 a.m.
Thats what I was thinking. If one wants to keep the meat, they better get it field dressed pretty quick and get it on ice.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better shoot a small one that you can run back to the truck and ice chest with! About the size of a football.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
If u got some game bags u can just skin and quarter in the field. If its 100+ and in the sun u better have ice in ur day bag. Keep it in the shade and it won't be so bad.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
SE okla is the only place I consistently hear about hogs.
Really? Everytime I turkey hunt up at Kaw I run into hogs or fresh hog sign. Over around Thomas the hogs are thick, too.
I've been up on the north end of the lake a few times and seen the tracks, and a GW from Atoka county that is a buddy with the local GW said they have killed a few, but always on private ground. The hog sign I've seen on public always has boot tracks on top of the hog tracks.
The GW says that deer season keeps them thinned out so far, but I'm betting the problem is going to grow.
My area that I frequent is flat, few trees, and wide open with agriculture, pastures, and small tree lines along a couple of creeks. We haven't seen any sign of them at all in that area. Grant county was the last in the state to get confirmed sightings. I'm sure its coming though.
I don't turkey hunt Kaw at all, or hunt anything else there either, but I might look for a hog in the winter when hunting season is slow.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Sounds like a winter boat ride with a toy or two and spot n stalk from the lake.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Its too shallow up there for anything but an airboat unless the lake is up a ways.
I took my bass boat clear up to Arkansas City Ks once when the lake was up 10'. Danged near ran out of fuel before getting back to the ramp.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Wow that was a long run. How big a tank u got? I have 2 6.5 gal tanks. But I also only have a 25 hp motor

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ooops, just read an article from the Wildlife Dept, and confirmed all 77 counties have reported a wild piggie.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Yep, grant county got a confirmed sighting last year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Neighboors just killed 3 last week down here. One of them was a biiiig one. 280# plus. They also said they saw a pack of about 40. Not sure how true that is. But, its only a half mile away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They haven't been too bad so far this year on our place. But, we've been fighting them for years.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
A friend I have in your neck of the woods traps the porkers on a pretty regular basis. He's been pretty successful, but they just keep coming.
Do you trap, stalk, or run them with dogs?

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Them hogs are hard to control and if you have problems now your likely gonna have them for a long time to come.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You can hunt hogs on public land using the legal method at that time. Archery opens Oct 1, so all ODWC and Corps lands are available after Monday for archery. You can use shotgun with slugs too now that squirrel and dove seasons are open.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts