Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, this is a total 'Newb' question, but since I'm going to be a bit short on my food plot, I was thinking of moving one of mt T-post gravity feeders over there.

This feeder had zero interest in the two weeks I had it out earlier (aside from a dozen raccoons and squirrels)...but there was little deer movement over there anyway due to a dog problem.

I'm thinking of keeping it off to the side, and a good 35 yards from my stand just in case it's presence makes deer uncomfortable.

Any input from guys who have done this before would be great. I grew up hunting public land, so feeders and plots are pretty new to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Go for it. What do you have to loose?

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Two days after it’s up, the deer won’t notice it.
Once they start feeding from it, they will expect it to be kept full.
I’ve had mine run out before. They still show up and wait for the timer to go off.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two days after it’s up, the deer won’t notice it.
Once they start feeding from it, they will expect it to be kept full.
I’ve had mine run out before. They still show up and wait for the timer to go off.
I made sure that I can access it from the side (off of the food plot) for refills. It is actually in one of my dead areas where not much came up.

I put a camera on it, will check in about 72 hours. Only have about 10lbs of corn in it in case it is a flop.

Driving a post in there today was like trying to drive it into concrete...I bet it took 40 strikes just to get it over the spade.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I made sure that I can access it from the side (off of the food plot) for refills. It is actually in one of my dead areas where not much came up.

I put a camera on it, will check in about 72 hours. Only have about 10lbs of corn in it in case it is a flop.

Driving a post in there today was like trying to drive it into concrete...I bet it took 40 strikes just to get it over the spade.
I hear you. Had to drive in some Tpost to anchor a new blind last week. Needed them in about 2’ but got worn out about half that distance.
Typically I just push them in with the front loader on the tractor, but that method only produced a bent post in this dry ground.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Do automatic feeders scare deer?
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter.
No automatic feeders don’t scare deer. In fact the get conditioned to the sound of it going off with a free meal.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
307 Posts
I’ve watched a group of little bucks and does twice a day for 6 days, and if they’re UNDER the feeder when it goes off, yes, it spooks them a little. However, their appetite overshadows their fear, and they coming running back in to eat more corn.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma hunter!
Automatic feeders will scare deer for about two days. Then the feeder going off with the corn banging the legs is like a call to food. They get accustomed to the noise quickly.
If they are nearby when it goes off they will react just like I do when standing near one when it goes off. I run like heck to get away from that corn. It stings!
They stop out there a ways and then move right back in to get the chow.
My new feeder just put out this year doesn't offer multiple speeds to throw the corn. Some of it is going 25' away. I want it all near the base of the feeder so the game cam can get pics.
Today, I put some old aluminum posted signs along three of the sides to deflect the corn down. Makes a heck of a racket, but my cell cams are showing deer on that feeder tonight.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Should make for a long range dinner bell bow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts