Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DON'T! I've been teaching public school for 5 years, and the kids are idiots. I've been called into the principal's office too many times for stupid stuff. I apparently hurt kids' feeling when they don't do their assigned work and they earn a substandard grade for horrible performance. I have parents blaming me for their child's lack of progress, even though I NEVER see these parents during Parent-Teacher conferences, and they've never tried to contact me. However they seem to have the time to complain to the principal that I am a poor teacher.

I started out this year with 27 accumulated sick days, had to use some of them (more than the usual 2-3) for myself when I had an ear infection where I completely lost hearing for 2 days, some severe "head cold" (as the doctors called it), and 2 days after spring break when I was recovering from my surgery. Some sick days I had to use to stay home and take care of sick kids, since I had the days, and if my wife stayed home, she would lose a noticeable amount of pay. Every time I asked about a doctor's note, they told me not to worry about it because my word was good enough. I was told yesterday that from now on they need a doctor's note.

My daughter (who is in Pre-K) has a track meet at her school on May 6 and graduates May 10. I only teach 3 periods (block scheduling), so I requested those days off. He said he couldn't let me take off the 6th because I have missed too many days, and only half day on the 10th. I'm so tired of this crap, that I'm seriously considering tell him that I will be gone both days, and if that means I don't work there next year, consider this my resignation.

DO NOT BECOME A TEACHER!!! Worst profession in Oklahoma.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Your not alone I hear it allot. My mother-in-law is a special ED teacher, my older brother is a teacher, my twin brothers wife is a teacher. They all are complaining about the budget cuts and work without pay. They are told "Do it for the kids".

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I don't know how you made it this far. I have too short of a fuse to teach school.
I have coached enough sports while my kids were growing up to be somewhat familiar with what your talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts