Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
HAHAHA!! great story!
I will say the flush of a covey of quail or pheasant in the middle of the night while walking into a deer stand has made me give pause to use some toilet paper.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
It's been several years ago but I was sitting at the corner of a wooded lot. I saw a few birds out in the pasture and was calling to them. I called several times with not response from the birds. For some reason I glanced to my left to see a bob cat stalking me. Thankfully he took off when I moved..

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I’m with Dennis in that a flush of quail in the dark will get the heart rate up in a hurry.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a property where (im guessing snipe) I will step on about 6-8 nests on a 600 yard stalk. Everytime I get the explosion from underfoot. The first 20 times or so I'd have to stop a moment and gather myself back up...now its common enough that it hardly phases me.

The worst anything has unsettled me is when I was putting a stalk on some hogs at 11pm and went under a tree late August. Wrapped myself up in a huge orb weaver web. The worst part was that I could see the spider dangling from the lid on my cap in the moonlight.

I didn't spook the hogs by whimpering...but they did alert to the sound of my shirt sleeves hitting my rifle as I was in full kung-fu mode. I still got my kills. I looked like a haunted house decoration.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
HAHAHA!! great story!
I will say the flush of a covey of quail or pheasant in the middle of the night while walking into a deer stand has made me give pause to use some toilet paper.
Yes. Yes. Yes. My fright pose after they flush is usually with one leg still in the air while I spin on the other and arms clinched around my chest

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Yes. Yes. Yes. My fright pose after they flush is usually with one leg still in the air while I spin on the other and arms clinched around my chest

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Ive cursed several quail in the dark of night when flushed.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I too, have done some fantastic, yet completely useless Kung Foo moves on spider webs in the woods. I have not trained in the was of the Master Foo'er, so it must be a natural thing that resides in me. I have had several coyotes and a few bob cats put the stalk on me when calling. Kind of makes ya want a tree stand for turkey hunting at times.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Just wait till a field mouse crawls up inside your pant legs. I know someone who had that happened to them once and talk about literally jumping out your pants. I never laughed so hard in my life since then.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It wasn't the turkey woods. I was spring squirrel hunting , sitting at the trunk of a pecan tree. I have one of those squirrel calls that you hit the bottom of to make it call. I was hitting the call on my leg,after about 10 min. I looked to my left and an owl was flying toward my leg. I waived my arm when it was about 20 feet away. Now I watch my movement when using this call.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Years ago, I was squirrel hunting on a place my uncle owns, and I was camo’ed up really well. I had a squirrel limb out over me, and when I shot at it (and missed), it jumped off the limb at me. It happened so fast that all I could do is put my arm up. The squirrel hit my arm and latched on. I was screaming like a school girl and beating my arm and squirrel against my leg to try to get it off. Finally, it let go and scampered off, and I was barely able to make my way back to my truck on shaking legs. My underwear were still clean, but I really don’t know how.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
It wasn't the turkey woods. I was spring squirrel hunting , sitting at the trunk of a pecan tree. I have one of those squirrel calls that you hit the bottom of to make it call. I was hitting the call on my leg,after about 10 min. I looked to my left and an owl was flying toward my leg. I waived my arm when it was about 20 feet away. Now I watch my movement when using this call.
I've had that happen while sitting all camo'ed up in a ground blind deer hunting. I watched an owl for an hour or so and it kept a looking right at me. The just before sunset, it swooped down coming straight for my face. I calmly became a raging lunatic and it retracted landing gear and did a go-around. I guess it was looking at the whites of my eyes and wanted to taste them.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Years ago, I was squirrel hunting on a place my uncle owns, and I was camo’ed up really well. I had a squirrel limb out over me, and when I shot at it (and missed), it jumped off the limb at me. It happened so fast that all I could do is put my arm up. The squirrel hit my arm and latched on. I was screaming like a school girl and beating my arm and squirrel against my leg to try to get it off. Finally, it let go and scampered off, and I was barely able to make my way back to my truck on shaking legs. My underwear were still clean, but I really don’t know how.
I shot a squirrel with a pellet gun when I was a little kid and was trying to find out where he went I went around the other side of the tree and seen his tail sticking out of a crack in the tree and blood dripping I thought he died there so I grabbed his tail and pulled him out and he was very much alive he ran up my arm over my head and jumped off then disappeared I was terrified and went back home lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts