Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't but will get out there this week and get the old stuff out, and get ready to till.

Anybody else getting ready?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Plowed and disked the garden about3 weeks ago, and let the last freeze take care of some of the grass roots. Disked it again last week. Now I think I'm going to begin making rows and start planting this next week before Spring Break! I already have some tomatoes and peppers started indoors. I need to get some potato and onion bulbs at Lowes or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Not yet but will. Planning on getting some blueberry and other fruit plants.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Thinking about doing a salsa garden, tomatoes, pepers and such growing in a hay bale. Saw it done on tv and thought that might be kind of cool

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking about doing a salsa garden, tomatoes, pepers and such growing in a hay bale. Saw it done on tv and thought that might be kind of cool
I've seen that about growing in hay bales. It looks interesting. Keep us informed how its going. I'd like to try that.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Gonna do some tomato's, peppers, cucumber, mix fruit bushes and whatever else the wife wants. Picked up the blueberry and tomato's yesterday.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I cannot wait until I get a tiller for the tractor. The plow and disk just isn't "chopping" the soil good enough. I'm going to hit some farm auctions this summer.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Give a look at Craig's list if you haven't already.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the 6' King Kutter tiller for my tractor. It is almost too good. It turns the dirt into powder if you till at slow speed. Kicking it up a couple of gears, it does real good.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've checked Craigslist. That's how I know I can pick one up for under $1000. Saw some for around $600. Just have to wait until summer. :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just got done building a fence for my garden as the neighbors dogs find it cooling in the summer. I tilled it about a week ago and again tonight. I will be making rows and planting at the end of the month. I have 72 tomato plants started, I am going to try and grow all the stuff to can my own tomato sauce this year, make pickles, and put away some green beans. We are also giving watermelon a shot this year. I am trying to find railroad ties for a strawberry box but I have been unsuccessful. Well good luck to all! Maybe we can see pics when everyone’s gardens are all started!

Mods, maybe we should consider an “outdoor living” or “gardening” thread on the main page. We could also put recipes, canning ideas, and gardening tips on there…..holy sh!t I sound like Martha Stewart. I have just gotten into the subsistence living after living in Alaska.

·
Registered
840 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Will run it by gauge an see. If not enough interest then it likely won't happen.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried to go big time on watermelon a couple of years ago. Planted 2 acres of black diamond, charlston greys, sugar babies and another variety or two that I don't remember.

Fertilized them, got good rains, and when it was about time to harvest, I went out to the field where they were planted. The plants, and melons were all wilted on the ground. All of the melons were shriveled.

Made me mad, so I got on the tractor, hooked on to a disk, and chopped them up. When I went over them the first time, I saw movement behind me. Stopped the tractor, and watched a dozen field rats run out of the melons into the woods. Looking closer, There was a 2" diameter hole in every melon. The rats came in when they got sweet, and chewed into them. They were actually living in the melons! that was a lot of work and money to see that.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Did you atleast end up with rat stew?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
didn't have anything other than my pocket pistol with me to even kill them. :mad:

If I can talk the team leader/hunting contest leader into points for field rats, I'd probably plant some more. ;D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Find or make a good recipe for them, and he just might justify them a "game exception species"! ;)

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, they do eat them in SE Asia.
Can't say I tried any though. :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts