Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner in IPSC pistol shooting, and have been looking at the 3 gun competitions, as they are real-life scenerios and looks like it would be 1K more fun than punching holes in paper.
Anybody else do this?
Sasakawa's son is REALLY good at IPSC.

/

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I have done some militry pistol competitions but used the Berreta M9.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several of the guys shoot 9mm. They are LEO's and get their ammo free.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Aa same here its all provided. Hope to be making a trip in May to Camp Pendleton, CA for the west coast all Navy comptition.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I'd loove to shoot a 3 gun comp someday. Honcho did a M16 armorer class at the college in Tishimingo and said that they have a world class shooting range there set up for 3 gun.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The monthly IPSC shoot is going to be at the Ponca City range this saturday weather permitting.

Bull, good luck to ya at Camp Pendleton. Do they pay your way?

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Not usually but I work with the XO of the navy shooting team so I just might get the bill picked up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ive shot a lil bit of cowboy action when i was datin a girl that shot it with her pops...was lotta fun...got half decent at it for a while

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That coyboy action looks fun too....if I could just ride a horse better :eek:

Becker, you should come out to the PC range for the IPSC. I'm only on my third visit, and nobody out there is a snob by any means.
Starts at 9am, and its supposed to be in the 50's.
Open to the public. If your interested, let me know and I can fill in more details.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the cowboy action was a blast i wanna get back into after i get out of school...i used all of their guns and leather ect. they also do a western three gun i've seen on the net thats a little different than standard cowboy action.

when is the ipsc going on? saturday? i may have plans but i ought to come check it out sometime soon. i have access to a 1911 if i wanna get started in it i guess till i get my own.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shoot a standard 1911, and if you have ammo you can use mine. The shoot is always the second saturday of the month, weather permitting. 4 or 5 have speed guns, but the rest, like me, use off the shelf pistols that one would use for normal concealed carry, or safe queens.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Dennis, how much ammo and how many mags do you need for one of those shoots?

·
Registered
92 Posts
looks like im gonna be busy i got a semi to work on sat. but will deff come check it out soon. this summer im going on intern and will be buying my own pistol of sorts...hopefully 1911 but we will see...

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dennis, how much ammo and how many mags do you need for one of those shoots?
I shoot Limited 10 Major class.
What that means is that you shoot a 10 round single stack mag in a standard 1911, or other model semi-auto in .40 or .45APC. No compensator's, no recoil aids, red dot sights, etc.
If you shoot a standard 8 round single stack, you are in Limited Major. Again in .40 or .45.
If you shoot a semi auto in 9mm with a single stack, your in the minor class. Since I don't shoot that Cal. I'm not sure how all that goes, since 99% of 9mm are double stack. But your still in minor class.
The scoring is pretty complicated, and most times on a local shoot the score is determined and emailed to you a couple of days later.
Scoring is determined by major and minor. The minor classes have less recoil and more rounds in the mag, so theoretically somebody shooting the minor class gets docked a few points for having that advantage. Most shoot the .45ACP. Leo's that come out typically shoot the same caliber as their duty weapon, as their ammo is normally provided.

Then you have open classes where $5K race guns are the norm.

We shoot 6 different scenario's, with some using 20-30 rounds per scenerio, and some using 16rounds.
The scenario's involve moving, shooting, strategy, and accuracy as well as speed shooting. Every one is different, shooting over, under, and around objects. Some of the targets are moving. Some of the targets have "hostages" in front of them that really cost you if you hit the hostage.

So, Bird back to your simple question, I have four Wilson Combat 10 round magazines. I take 200 rounds with me, and shoot most. Reason you want more mags is that on the targets, you can shoot them as many times as you want and they only score the two best hits. Some of the targets, or steel poppers may be at 30 yds, and with trying to keep up the speed, you miss, and extra rounds may come in so one doesn't run out of ammo without completing the course.

I will say this. If you are even a D class shooter, you will be a better shooter than 95% of all pistol shooters in the nation, by knowing how to run your gun, do speed reloads, and accuracy with the gun. ( I haven't made D class yet, just a rank beginner.)

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I carry and shoot a S&W modle 410 in .40. I have 5 10 round mags for it. Sounds like a fun time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts