Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, we were real serious about it last year, but just haven't got back into the spirit this season.
I have some days off coming up, and might set out some traps. I think the warm weather has me turned off. Last year, we had a stretch of cold weather that lasted about two weeks where the animals could be put in the barn and stay frozen, so we got after it pretty hard, but this year is warm, and neither of us have enough freezer space to put them in.
The fur buyer gives the same money for unskinned, and he does skinned, and sometimes more, so its not worth our time to mess with skinning them.

Anybody else trapping?

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I wished. I know a good area close by but all I have is a couple leg holds. Also not sure if its legal to trap there.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wished. I know a good area close by but all I have is a couple leg holds. Also not sure if its legal to trap there.
You can trap the highway/county road right of ways around the state. I've done that before. Culverts are a travel zone. One has to use a drowning set to make sure the animal gets back in the culvert so the public doesn't see it.

I can explain the drowning set if anybody is really interested in doing this.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Hay Dennis I was doing some work on the skull of the bobcat today. If you want your bullet back I'll send it to ya LOL. Copper jacket is a bit messed up but for the most part bullet didn't deform.

I will give you a call later on and get some trapping info from you.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to get the bullet back!
If you don't need it, I'd take the skull back.
FYI, I've shot three cats with big caliber pistol rounds and recovered every bullet. Their skin is so loose, it acts as a bullet trap. Rifle, it goes right through.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I will clean it up and bleach it for you. Its the least I can do sense you gave it to me. I'll get it to you on one of my trip to Witchita.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang! That's cool! I'm looking forward to it. We can get reflex hunters beaver heads to him at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I'm waiting on a call back for a second interview and have a few other things I'm working on. Not sure if I'll have it done by my next trip up Feb 3-5. If I do I'll let ya know.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the guy I use, and I haven't used him much year. I've seen some bobcat prices that have been sold to him for $150 to $200 He is a cranky guy so sometimes trying to negotiate a better price with get a FU, and an finger pointing to the road out of his shop.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read his fur report the other day.

http://www.kanoklafurco.com/

The **** catch has been very large and the quality is becoming poor because of the weather. **** quality will continue to go down. Expect prices to trend down on *****.

The highest grade of fur is higher this season, but the low grades are worth nothing.

We have orders for select bobcats at high prices and orders for select A color ***** at high prices (not all cats and ***** fit this category). Average and low-grade at last year's prices--little demand as of yet.

As soon as the season opens, catch *****. Wait until late Dec/Jan for cats.

Fur prices are opening with an optimistic view for the season. This could change quickly depending on Europe's economy. Check back for updated prices and info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts